Let Us Help You Find the Best Battery Operated Toothbrush on the Market
A battery powered toothbrush, a.k.a. an electric toothbrush, removes more plaque than a manual brush, and comes with advanced features that help you keep your teeth and gums healthy. But with so many electric toothbrush brands and models available, it’s not always easy to find the right one.
Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries Electric Toothbrush
Our favorite for 2020
Panasonic EW-DS90-S Compact Battery-Powered Toothbrush
A very close runner-up
Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries Electric Toothbrush
A fantastic option
When comparing models, here are some things to consider:
- Battery Type: There are two different types of batteries available: rechargeable and disposable. Disposable batteries are easy to replace when they die out, but come at an added expense and can be wasteful. Rechargeable models are eco-friendly, but tend to come at a higher upfront cost and may require frequent recharging.
- Travel or Home: Are you planning on using the brush while you travel, or is it strictly for home use? There are travel-friendly models available, and they typically use disposable batteries. With compact designs, these brushes are great for on-the-road use, and offer the same great cleaning that rechargeable brushes offer. If you don’t travel often or have a separate brush for when you’re on the road, a rechargeable, larger model may be the better option.
- Brushing Action: Do you prefer Sonic brushing technology, or oscillating/rotating brushes? Sonic brushing uses pulsations and side-to-side motion to clean your teeth, while oscillating/rotating brushes use rotations to break up and remove plaque.
Even with these three factors in mind, it can be time-consuming and tedious to compare all of the battery powered toothbrush models on the market. Our goal is to make the buying process as simple and easy as possible for you, so we’ve reviewed five of the best brushes you can buy to help you find the right one.
Battery Toothbrush Reviews – Our Top Picks this Year
Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries Black – The SmartSeries is an advanced battery-powered toothbrush from Oral-B’s Pro 7000 lineup. Featuring a sleek black color, this brush comes with multiple brush heads, a SmartGuide, Bluetooth connectivity and superior cleaning modes.
The Pro 7000 SmartSeries is the first of its kind, and your brush actually connects to the Oral-B app on your smartphone to give you brushing feedback in real-time. The app helps you track your habits, stay motivated and improve your brushing techniques.
Oral-B’s 3D cleaning action rotates, oscillates and pulsates to remove more plaque than your everyday toothbrush. It also boasts six cleaning modes: gum care, daily clean, deep clean, whitening, sensitive and tongue cleaner.
If you want the best battery operated toothbrush, the Pro 7000 SmartSeries is it.
Panasonic EW-DS90-S – For those who are always on the go, the EW-DS90-S from Panasonic is a great option. Small, lightweight and powered by batteries, this brush uses sonic technology to remove plaque and delivers 16,000 brush strokes per minute.
This travel-friendly brush is powered by a single AAA battery, which isn’t included, and offers up to 180 minutes of use.
At just 6” in length, this brush can easily fit in your travel bag, purse or makeup bag. It’s 100% waterproof, too, so it’s easily washed. The triple-edged brush head can reach in between teeth for an even deeper clean.
The EW-DS90-S is the most affordable battery brush we’ve come across, and it works just as well as many of the full-size brushes we’ve used.
Oral-B Pro 3000 – Want the power of Oral-B’s Pro 7000 series without the big price tag? The Pro 3000 is a great compromise. Although it does not offer Bluetooth connectivity, it does offer three cleaning modes, a timer and a pressure sensor.
The bristles on the brush head are angled at 16 degrees to reach in between teeth for a deeper clean. Daily clean, gum care and sensitive cleaning modes are available, so any user can take advantage of the deep cleaning power this brush offers.
The pressure sensor prevents you from brushing too hard, and the built-in timer makes sure that you brush for two minutes.
Plus, the Pro 3000 holds a charge for up to seven days, so you won’t be recharging every other day.
Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries White – The Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries White is nearly identical to the previous SmartSeries brush on our list. Complete with a SmartGuide, several brush heads, multiple cleaning modes and Bluetooth Connectivity, this is an advanced battery powered brush.
Under normal use, this brush offers 10 days of battery life. You may need to recharge more often if several people share the brush handle, but that is to be expected.
A total of five cleaning modes are included: deep clean, whitening, gum care, sensitive and tongue cleaning mode. The tongue cleaning mode helps get rid of the bacteria on your tongue that causes bad breath.
The app keeps you motivated while helping you improve your brushing habits. Several brush heads are included to help you get started, including: CrossAction, ProWhite and Sensitive.
Philips Sonicare 2 – The Sonicare 2 series is affordable and offers an incredible two weeks of battery life. Delivering 31,000 brush strokes per minute, this brush pushes fluid between your teeth for a thorough but gentle cleaning that removes up to 6 times more plaque than a manual brush.
The timer function alerts you when you’ve brushed for two minutes, and the quadpacer keeps you moving from one quadrant of your mouth to the next every 30 seconds.
We really like the Easy Start feature, which gradually increases intensity over 14 days, so your mouth and gums can adjust to your new brush.
If you’re just getting started with battery-powered toothbrushes, the Sonicare 2 Series is a great option and comes at an affordable price.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Find the Best Battery Toothbrush for You
All five of the brushes above are well-rated by users, come at an affordable price and are built to last. The question is: which one do you choose?
If you’re still on the fence about which model to buy, here are some things you may want to consider:
- Cleaning Modes: Many battery operated toothbrush models offer multiple cleaning modes, like whitening or sensitive, to accommodate your dental needs. Some people prefer to have multiple modes, while others only need one. Decide which category you fit in, and choose a brush that will satisfy your needs.
- Battery Life: What good is a battery powered brush if it needs to be recharged every other day? And if it uses disposable batteries, you probably don’t want to have to replace them every week or two. Check the brush’s battery life, and make sure that it meets your standards. Sonicare brushes typically last two weeks, while Oral-B brushes last anywhere from 7-10 days before needing to be recharged.
- Extra Features: Some battery-operated brushes come with built-in pressure sensors and timers to help you brush for the recommended time of two minutes. Decide whether you need those features, and if so, do you need both?
- Budget: Battery toothbrushes can be costly depending on how many advanced features you need. Set a budget, and choose a brush that meets your needs without going above your means. Maybe you can do without the Bluetooth connectivity or six cleaning modes. If so, you can save yourself money on the upfront cost without having to sacrifice quality.