Our Guide to Finding the Best Upright Vacuums After 2015
Shopping for a new upright vacuum shouldn’t be a chore. But with so many models to choose from, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to start. Our goal is to make the process just a little bit easier by offering comparisons of the top five models on the market.
Dyson Ball Multi Floor Upright Vacuum
Our favorite for 2017
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Upright (NV356E)
A very close runner-up
BISSELL CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum with OnePass Technology
Excellent value from Bissell
What makes one upright vacuum better than another? There are several factors that need to be considered, including:
- Ease of use: Is the vacuum user-friendly? Are the hoses easily extendable, or stiff and hard to move? If a vacuum is difficult or unpleasant to use, it will likely collect dust in the closet.
- Weight: How heavy is the vacuum? Weight becomes particularly important if you have to lug the vacuum upstairs or need to cover a large area when cleaning.
- Suction power: How much suction power does the vacuum have? This is one of the key most important things to consider, as vacuums with greater power are able to pick up more dust and dirt in your carpeting.
- Filtration and pets: Does the vacuum come with a HEPA filter to reduce household allergens? If you have pets, you may consider looking at models designed to make hair removal easier and more efficient.
These are the most important things to keep in mind when comparing models. But if you’re like most people, you probably don’t have the time to sift through each available model, compare features and narrow down your list to just one vacuum. We’ve done the hard work for you, and have hand-picked the top 5 best-rated vacuums for 2017, so you can start off the year with a fresh, clean home.
These five vacuums are highly rated by consumers, affordably priced, and offer top-notch performance.
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Upright – Want professional-quality cleaning at a consumer-friendly price? Shark Navigator Lift Away Professional upright vacuum may be the right choice for you. Using cyclonic technology, this vacuum separates fine dirt from the air, and prevents hair from clogging up the filters. This allows the vacuum to maintain its powerful suction over time.
This model also features HEPA filtration and Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology to remove up to 99.9% of allergens and dust from your home.
As an added bonus, the Navigator also offers Shark’s patented Dust-Away attachment for hardwood floors, which combines the suction power of the vacuum with the dust removal efficiency of a microfiber pad to remove even the tiniest particles you can’t see.
Modestly priced and backed by rave reviews from customers, this is one of the best upright vacuums you can buy this year.
Bissell CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum – Bissell is a name that consumers know and trust, and the CleanView Bagless upright is a testament to the brand’s quality and durability. Featuring OnePass Technology, this model offers powerful suction with a unique brush design to offer a thorough cleaning using just one pass.
A multilevel filtration system significantly reduces household allergens, while the cyclonic system ensures long-lasting, powerful suction.
The included turbo brush tool is ideal for removing pet hair from upholstery, or for cleaning carpeted stairs.
Lightweight and easy to use, this model also comes with a washable foam filter, crevice tool and a dirt tank that’s easy to empty. And its affordable price makes it a great choice for families who are on a tighter budget.
Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Bagless Upright – Hoover’s T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind upright is bagless, folds up for easy storage, and features a convenient automatic rewind cord.
This model offers quite a few intuitive features that make it easy to maintain and use this vacuum, including:
- A system check indicator to let you know when it’s time to clean the tank, carbon and HEPA filters.
- Fold-down handle for convenient storage in small spaces.
- A pedal to shut off the brush roll mechanism for seamless transition from carpeting to hardwood floors.
- Automatic rewind cord feature to instantly and neatly wind up the vacuum’s 27-foot cord.
This Hoover model also comes with onboard tools, including a pet hair turbo brush, crevice tool, 12 inch extension wand, and a pet furniture nozzle that has rubber blades.
If you’re looking for vacuum that offers convenient, user-friendly features, the Hoover T-Series WindTunnel is a smart choice.
Shark Navigator Lift-Away – The Shark Navigator Lift-Away is similar to its Professional counterpart at the top of our list. Like the Professional, this model also features Shark’s “Never Loses Suction” technology. With swivel steering and a lightweight design, vacuuming stairs and maneuvering tight spaces is a breeze.
The Navigator Lift-Away also features Shark’s Anti-Allergen Complete Seal technology and a HEPA filter to remove up to 99.9% of household dust and allergens.
The portable, lightweight canister can be removed from the base, allowing you to easily vacuum stairs without having to carry the heavy base.
If the Professional model doesn’t fit into your budget, the Lift-Away is a great alternative that’s nearly identical in performance and ease of use.
Dyson Ball Multi-Floor Upright – Dyson is a leader in the vacuum industry, but comes in last on our list because of its high price. Known for its unbeatable suction, the Ball Multi-Floor model uses Radio Root Cyclone technology for the strongest suction of any upright vacuum on the market.
Dyson’s new technology is able to capture even more microscopic dust and dirt than previous models, and comes with a self-adjusting cleaner head for seamless transition from carpets to hard flooring.
HEPA filtration and easy maneuvering make this model one of the most robust, powerful and intuitive on the market. Although higher in price, this model offers unbeatable suction power. If you have pets and/or children, it’s worth it to invest in a quality vacuum that will pick up dust and dirt other models leave behind.
Buyers Guide – How to Sift Through All the Upright Vacuum Cleaner Reviews and Find the Right One for You
We’ve provided 5 of the best-rated vacuums on the market, but how can you know which one is the right one for you?
Consider these factors:
- Price: Price is typically the first thing you’ll need to consider. If you have a higher budget, the Dyson may be the best option, but those with a modest budget will be more than pleased with the first model on the list. Don’t be afraid to spend more on a vacuum. Remember, this machine is designed to keep your home clean and free of dust and allergens.
- Needs: Do you have pets or children? If so, you may consider opting for a more powerful model that can meet the demands of your household. If you’re a single person living alone, you may only need a simple, basic model without all the bells and whistles.
- Size: The size of the vacuum is important, too. If you’re short on space, look for smaller models or choose one that folds away for compact storage, like the Hoover T-Series WindTunnel (our third pick).
- Filtration: If you have allergies or pets, choosing a model with a HEPA filter is ideal. These filters remove household dust and allergens that may aggravate your condition. Nearly all models offer HEPA filters, so it should be easy to find a model that fits your budget and needs.
One last thing: don’t forget to check out what other users are saying about the model you’re considering. Models with positive reviews are more likely to provide you with a better overall experience.