Let Us Help You Find the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Thick Carpet
High pile carpeting is thick, luxurious and ultra-plush – but it’s also a chore to keep clean. You need the right vacuum for the job because dirt can get deep down, and stay there. Some modern vacuums are only designed for low pile carpeting, and even conventional models still don’t have what it takes to truly clean thick carpet.
Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Our favorite for 2017
GV 10 Quart Commercial BackPack Vacuum
A very close runner-up
Miele S8990 UniQ Canister Vacuum Cleaner (Old Model)
Great For deep cleaning and restoring crushed carpet
How can you find a vacuum that can handle your high pile carpeting? Keep these points in mind when you’re comparing models:
- Vacuum Type: In most cases, upright vacuums aren’t ideal for thick carpets, although there are exceptions. Canister models tend to be the better choice. As an added bonus, canister vacuums are also lightweight and highly portable, so you can easily clean stairs and upholstery without breaking your back.
- Suction Power: Does the vacuum have enough power to clean thick carpet? Consider the settings it offers. Make sure a high pile carpet setting is available. Remember, some vacuums (especially lightweight upright ones) can only handle low pile or hard flooring.
- Ratings: When considering any vacuum, it’s important to look at user feedback. Are buyers liking the vacuum, or does it have some serious flaws? Pay attention to what people like and don’t like about the model to determine if it would be a good fit for your home.
These are just a few of the many things you should consider when buying a vacuum. To make your life easier, we’re going to share our five picks for the best vacuum for thick carpet.
The Best Rug Vacuum Reviews for 2017
Miele S8990 UniQ – Miele is one of the best-known high-end vacuum brands, and their models are known for their exceptional suction power. The S8990 UniQ is one of the best models in the lineup for thick carpets. Yes, this is a premium vacuum, but it’s worth every penny.
The UniQ is built to last, and most will last for 20 years or more. They’re lightweight and powerful with a 1200-watt vortex motor.
Miele vacuums are made in Germany, so you know they’re of excellent quality.
The AirClean Sealed System keeps dust, dirt and allergens inside the vacuum, which makes this model a smart choice for asthma and allergy sufferers.
The UniQ also comes with a Powerhead attachment that’s great for deep cleaning and extra-thick carpeting.
GV 10 Quart Commercial BackPack Vacuum – The GV 10-quart BackPack vacuum is commercial-grade and ultra-lightweight. Complete with a HEPA filter and a three-stage filtration system, this model is ideal for homes with plush carpet and pets.
If you’re looking for a powerful vacuum, it doesn’t get much better than this model. The GV BackPack vacuum has 120 inches of water lift (that’s the technical term for suction power) – most other vacuums only have 100 inches of water lift.
The three-stage filtration system features a HEPA filter as well as a 10-quart SMS washable cloth bag. This vacuum also comes with a slew of accessories, including an upholstery tool, crevice tool, duster brush, mini head w/brush roll, and a deluxe floor tool.
Miele Complete C3 Marin – The Marin is a part of the Miele Complete C3 line-up, and it’s one of the brand’s more affordable options. With adjustable speed settings, extra accessories, an air-clean sealed system and an electro brush, this is a vacuum that can handle the tough job of cleaning high pile carpets.
And if you have hard flooring in your home, the Marin can clean those with precision as well.
One thing you’ll love about this vacuum is that its motor is near-silent, and offers six speed settings that are easily controlled through the integrated foot controls. There’s also an automatic motor setting for easy cleaning.
The Electro Premium Powerbrush is the main selling point of this model. With a 13 3/8” wide brush, this tool is perfect for medium and high pile carpeting.
New Miele Complete C3 Brilliant – The Brilliant is one of the best models in the Complete C3 collection, and its power is hard to beat. Like the Marin, this model also comes with the Electro Premium Powerbrush for easy cleaning of thick carpets.
Convenient handle controls make it easy to choose your desired speed setting (there are six to choose from), saving your back from having to bend over to make adjustments.
An integrated velvet bumper strip protects your furniture from accidental collisions, and an AirClean sealed system keeps trapped dirt, dust and household allergens inside of the vacuum where it belongs.
Lightweight and easy to use, the Brilliant is one of the best vacuums from Miele.
New Miele Complete C3 Kona – The Kona is the most affordable Miele model on our list. While it may not have all of the bells and whistles the previous model has, it comes with everything you need to keep your thick carpets clean.
The Electro Plus Electrobrush features five height adjustments, including high pile carpeting. You also have the option of choosing smooth surfaces, so you can use this same vacuum to clean your hard flooring.
Six speed settings make it easy to choose the right level of power for the task. Footswitch controls eliminate the need to bend over to adjust the vacuum’s settings.
The Kona also comes with a telescopic wand to clean high surfaces and the famous Miele AirClean sealed system that traps household allergens.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Plush Carpet
If you have high pile carpets, you can’t just buy any ordinary vacuum. If your vacuum doesn’t have the right height setting for your floors, it won’t clean them properly – or worse, it can damage the carpet.
When buying a vacuum for your thick, plush carpets, consider the following:
- How high is high pile? The height your carpet is an important factor. Some vacuums can handle carpets with a slightly high pile, but extra thick carpets require more advanced settings.
- Does the vacuum have filtration? High pile carpets hold onto more dirt, dust and debris, which can irritate asthma and allergies. Ideally, you want a vacuum with a good filtration system. At the very least, it should have a HEPA filter. Some models, like the GV BackPack vacuum, have three-stage filtration that removes virtually all allergens. Miele also has a sealed system that keeps these irritants inside of the vacuum, preventing them from making it back into the air when you empty it.
- Is the vacuum easy to move? Lightweight vacuums are preferred when cleaning thicker carpets. Heavy upright models can be difficult to push around. Lightweight canister vacuums are preferred for this reason.
- Is the vacuum in your price range? Don’t forget to consider the price of the vacuum. It’s worth it to pay more for a vacuum that will last you 10-20 years, so consider stretching your budget if you can. Quality vacuums have better suction power, too, which means they’ll do a better job of cleaning your thicker carpets.