American Standard Vs Kohler: Who Wins the Battle of the Toilets?
American Standard and Kohler are two of the top toilet brands in the industry. Quality construction, modern design, efficiency and powerful performance are what set their toilets apart from other brands. Which one is the right choice for you?
KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa Comfort Height Elongated 1.28 GPF Toilet
Our favorite for 2017
American Standard 2886.216.020 H2Option Siphonic Dual Flush Right Height Elongated Two-Piece Toilet
A two-piece toilet with innovative design
American Standard 2887.216.020 H2Option Siphonic Dual Flush Elongated Two-Piece Toilet
Our favorite for 2017
Here are some things to keep in mind when comparing these two brands:
- Toilet Size: Before you even start looking at the flushing system and the extra features the toilet offers, you need to consider size. Kohler is known for offering a compact elongated bowl, which means you enjoy the comforts of the elongated design without having to sacrifice on space. Both brands also offer comfortable heights, which make it easier to stand up and sit down. Consider your size requirements, and if you’re short on space, Kohler may be the better option for you.
- Efficiency: Kohler toilets tend to be more efficient in the water usage department, but American Standard does offer the dual-flush system that may actually save you more in the long run. Light flushes use just one gallon, while heavy flushes use 1.6 gallons. Determine whether you want higher efficiency every time you flush (Kohler), or the option to choose a more powerful flush when you need it most (American Standard).
- Consumer Feedback: Another important thing to consider is consumer feedback. Which toilet brand do consumers prefer? Take a look at user reviews for each model from both brands, and consider any flaws that consumers report. No one wants to buy a brand new toilet only to find that it starts leaking after just a few months of use.
Reviews Our Favorite Kohler and American Standard Models
American Standard H2Option (2887.216.020) – The H2Option from American Standard is one of our favorite models because it offers an elongated bowl (extra comfort) and a high efficiency design (water savings).
This variation of the H2Option (there are two) uses siphonic action and offers dual-flush functionality. Another nice thing about this toilet is that it has a top-mounted flush button for convenience.
The dual-flush feature gives you two options: light and heavy flush. The light flush uses just one gallon of water per flush, while the heavy option uses 1.6 gallons. This way, you can enjoy water savings while using the light flush option without sacrificing performance when you need it most.
And with the EverClean surface, which inhibits growth of mildew, mold, fungus and algae, your toilet stays cleaner for longer.
American Standard Champion-4 – Our second pick is also from American Standard, and it’s one of the brand’s most powerful models: the Champion-4.
Featuring an elongated bowl, this toilet can move up to 70% more mass than a conventional toilet. And its 4” flush valve is twice as fast as the typical valve.
The large valve size allows the toilet to push through 360 degrees of water in less than one second.
A larger trapway also allows for more waste to pass through without clogging the toilet.
Like our previous pick, this model features American Standard’s EverClean surface, which helps keep your toilet cleaner for longer.
American Standard H2Option (2886.216.020) – This variation of the H2Option is very similar to our first pick, and even offers the dual-flushing functionality to help you save on your water usage. Highly efficient, this model is WaterSense certified and features a comfortable height of 17.5”.
The pressurized rim of this toilet feds water into the rim chamber, effectively power-washing your toilet each time you flush.
And just like all other American Standard toilets, this model has the EverClean surface that keeps fungus, mold and mildew at bay.
You’ll also love the Speed Connect system that cuts installation time by an impressive 30%. If you’re looking for a powerful yet efficient toilet, this H2Option model is a great choice.
Kohler Cimarron – The Cimarron is the first Kohler toilet on our list, and it’s one of the brand’s best-sellers. Available in a range of colors, this toilet has a compact elongated bowl that doesn’t take up any more space than a conventional round bowl model.
And the Comfort Height makes it easy to sit down and stand up – ideal for older users.
The AquaPiston canister pushes water in from all angles, allowing for a truly powerful flush. The Cimarron only uses 1.28 gallons of water per flush, so it’s considered a truly efficient model.
As for style, this toilet is classic in design and offers a clean, modern look that complements any bathroom decor.
Kohler Santa Rosa – The Santa Rosa is the final Kohler model, and its unique design makes it a focal point in any bathroom.
With a one-piece design, this toilet is exceptionally easy to clean. The chair-height seating also makes it easier to sit down and stand up. Like the previous model, the Santa Rosa has a compact elongated bowl that doesn’t take up any more space than a conventional round bowl toilet.
Using just 1.28 gallons per flush, this toilet is highly efficient, which saves you money on your monthly water bill. In fact, Kohler estimates that users save roughly 16,500 gallons of water per year using this toilet.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose from The Best Toilet Brands Out There
- Flushing System: How powerful is the flush, and what type of system is in place? Some American Standard models, for example, have a pressurized rim that essentially power-washes your toilet each and every time you flush. Kohler has a flushing system that pushes water into the bowl from all angles, allowing for a powerful, efficient flush. Both can also move more mass than the average toilet. Determine which system is the better option for your family.
- Clean-Promoting Features: All toilets get dirty, but some get dirtier more quickly than others. Consider any features that help keep the toilet looking cleaner for longer, as these can make your life easier. American Standard has the EverClean surface, which inhibits growth of mold, mildew and fungus. Kohler has a pressurized rim that pressure-washes your toilet with each flush to keep the bowl clean. Determine which one is the right choice for you.
- Warranty: Warranties are another important consideration when buying any toilet. American Standard offers a limited two-year warranty, while Kohler offers a one-year limited warranty. American Standard is the clear winner here, but don’t let this be the deciding factor when making your final decision.
- Price: Finally, consider the cost of the toilet. American Standard models are slightly less expensive than Kohler models. While affordability is important, it’s equally important to ensure that the toilet has all of the features you need. Weigh all the pros and cons of each model you’re considering before factoring in price.