How to Choose a Juicer If You Have $200 To Spend
An affordable juicer is available, and masticating juicers are extremely popular. Healthy eating and weight loss require an abundance of fruits and vegetables – often more than a person can eat daily.
Omega J8003 Nutrition Center Single-Gear Commercial Masticating Juicer
Our favorite for 2017
NutriChef PKSJ40 Countertop Masticating Slow Juicer Juice and Drink Maker
A very close runner-up
Hurom Fresh Press Juicer Single Auger Masticating Juicer
Can easily process fruits, vegetables, wheatgras etc
Juicing provides the ability to obtain nutrients and minerals that are highly concentrated and potent to fuel your body.
We’ve had the pleasure of researching the top 5 juicers on the market, and we’ve found a lot of models under $200 that can juice fruits and vegetables just as well as some of the top-end models.
When you read through these reviews, you can use the following points to compare the different models:
- Speed: Slower speeds are the right choice for wheatgrass and leafy greens. If you plan to juice wheatgrass or tougher greens that are difficult to juice at higher speeds, aim for a model that has 80 RPM speeds for true, low rotation speeds.
- Self-cleaning: A self-cleaning unit is a great option to keep cleanup quick and easy. If you have little time to spare, a self-cleaning unit or a unit that allows water to be put through the chute is preferred.
- Chute Size: The size of the chute will dictate how much prep work is needed to juice your fruits and vegetables. A 2”+ chute will be able to juice small apples and fruits, for example, but an apple that’s 3” or bigger in radius needs to be chopped up, which adds to the prep time. If you plan on juicing larger items, pay close attention to the chute size.
If you keep all points above in mind, you’ll have an easier time comparing models.
Our Top Masticating Juicers Reviewed
Omega J8003 Nutrition Center Review – The Omega J8003 is a single gear model that is commercial-grade and offers a dual-stage system. Slow and steady, this juicer runs at 80 RPMs and is powered through a 1/3 HP motor. Heat build-up, clogging and foaming are prevented thanks to the slow and steady speed of this Omega model.
Auto pulp-ejection is provided, with a reverse mode to help produce higher juice yields.
This model runs as a juicer, pasta extruder, grinder and food processor. Everything from wheatgrass to leafy greens can be properly juiced in this model. This is a great model if you want a high-end juicer at a price you can afford.
Since it’s commercial-quality, it is best for avid juicers that use their juicer often.
Omega VRT330 Dual-Stage Vertical Single-Auger Review – Omega’s VRT330 is a dual-stage, single-auger that comes in three unique colors and stands vertically. This model is operated by a 1/5 HP motor, and a dual-stage system allows for continuous juicing thanks to the auto pulp ejection.
Low rotation speeds of 80 RPM are provided to keep heat production to a minimum.
Perfect for everyday usage, the VRT330 offers two spouts and has two 50-ounce containers. The hopper is on top of the unit, and it’s easy to make almond and soy milk with this juicer. You’ll need to cut produce to fit into the 3” chute, and water can be put through the chute to self-clean the unit.
Omega Slow Vertical Masticating Juicer Review – The Omega Slow is the VRT330S, which is a slight upgrade from the VRT330. This model can run at 80 RPMs, so it’s able to retain nutrients. A two-stage process is offered that extracts the highest yield of juice.
Auto-cleaning is provided so that cleaning is fast and simple.
Internal parts are removable, and they’re designed to be dishwasher safe, which saves an immense amount of time during the cleanup process. The unit is top-loading with a large chute to fit entire fruits and vegetables into the juicer (some will need to be cut).
The chute is 2.5” wide, so smaller fruits can fit through, while larger fruits need to be cut into smaller sizes.
This is a fast, easy-to-clean juicer perfect for the busy user.
Hurom Fresh Press Juicer Review – The Hurom is a single auger masticating juicer that is a cold-pressing system and is capable of producing 35% more juice. Drier pulp is produced, and the slow squeezing technology (SST) is patented, so it’s unique to the Hurom brand.
Sauces, marinades, juice and milk can be made with the Hurom.
This juicer operates at 150 watts of power and at a speed of 80 RPM. A large container is provided for pulp and for juice, and two spouts allow both to be ejected from the system.
If you’re interested in an entry-level juicer that’s able to juice a variety of fruits and isn’t necessarily a commercial unit, the Hurom Fresh Press is a good pick.
NutriChef PKSJ40 Countertop Masticating Slow Juicer Review – The PKSJ40 by NutriChef is a stainless steel juicer with rugged engineered plastic that provides the perfect balance between affordability and quality. Gentle juice extraction is provided through the high-powered, slow-speed juicing function that crushes and squeezes juice out of produce.
Designed to be clog-free, this unit can make milk, nut butter, sauces, baby food, and fruit and vegetable drinks.
Everything except the motor is dishwasher safe, and there is a one-year warranty offered. The company offers an affordable, entry-level juicer that is versatile and perfect for small families that want to preserve their foods and boost nutrition with nutrient-rich drinks.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Pick a Juicer on A 200 Dollar Budget
Juicers in this price range are very similar. The juicers on this list are all masticating, so they all produce a high yield and can juice wheatgrass and kale without crushing the vegetables in the process.
There are a few specifications that can help make it easier to choose one of the models listed above.
- Size: Commercial juicers are larger in size, and this needs to be considered when making your choice. There are also tall units that may not fit under a kitchen cabinet, so pay close attention to the size of a unit before purchasing.
- Reverse Feature: A forward and reverse feature is great because it allows you to avoid jams, and allows for maximum juice yields, too. This is a feature to consider when juicing a lot of produce at once.
- Capabilities: A juicer can do more than juice fruits and vegetables when it’s a masticating juicer. Many models can make sauces, baby food, almond milk and soy milk, too. Nut butters may also be possible. If you want the utmost in versatility, check to see what your chosen juicer can make.
- Warranty: It sounds trivial, but a warranty is essential with a juicer because if the motor is faulty, it often breaks within the first few months. You’ll want to find a unit with a warranty of at least one year to safeguard your investment.
Masticating juicers are affordable, and they can juice tougher vegetables, such as wheatgrass and kale. If you keep the points above in mind, you’ll have an easier time making a choice between models.