Our Guide to The Best Under Sink RO Systems on The Market
When it comes to water filtration, it’s hard to beat a reverse osmosis system. These systems use multi-stage filtration to remove up to 99% of water contaminants, including fluoride – something your regular water filter can’t remove.
APEC Top Tier Ultra Safe Built in USA Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
Our favorite for 2020
iSpring RCC7 5-Stage Residential Under-Sink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
An affordable and high-quality osmosis system
APEC Top Tier Supreme Certified High Flow 90 GPD Ultra Safe Built in USA Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
Equipped withlong lasting super capacity filters
While RO systems are more affordable today than they were in the past, it can still be difficult to choose the right unit for your home. We’re going to share some of the best models on the market to help make your decision easier. When comparing models, keep the following points in mind:
- GPD Rating: GPD refers to “gallons per day.” Look for a unit with a GPD rating that fits your needs. If your family uses a lot of water, you’ll want a unit with a higher rating. The product description should list the GPD. Most families will do fine with a 70-75 GPD unit, but if you have high water demands, you may want a 90 GPD system.
- Size: The size of the unit is also important. If you have a smaller cabinet under your sink, you need to ensure that you buy a unit that will fit properly. The system’s dimensions (tank included) are listed in the product description.
- Filtration Stages: Most RO units use a 5-stage filtration system, which removes 99% of contaminants. However, there are some reverse osmosis systems that have six stages for improved alkalinity. A five-stage system is ideal, but if you want added minerals in your water, you may want to go with the six-stage system instead.
The Best Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Reviews
APEC Water ROES-50 – APEC’s ROES-50 features a 5-stage filtration system and removes up to 99% of contaminants from your drinking water. Made in the USA, this unit is WQA certified for a noise-free, maintenance-free system that will give you years of use.
Using a five-stage filtration system, this unit will remove nearly all contaminants from your water, including: chlorine, arsenic, bacteria, heavy metals, fluoride, viruses and more. The long-lasting filters treat both well and city water.
The system’s tank is 11” x 11” x 15,” and the entire unit is small enough to fit in a standard kitchen cabinet. The Quick Connect fittings also make it easy to install the unit without lock clips.
A chrome faucet is included along with food-grade tubing.
If you’re looking for a unit that’s easy to install and made in the U.S., the ROES-50 from APEC is a great choice.
iSpring RCC7 – iSpring’s RCC7 is another five-stage system that’s WQA (Water Quality Association) Gold Seal certified and features a 75 GPD rating.
The RCC7 removes up to 99% of water contaminants, including: lead, chlorine, arsenic, fluoride, sulfur, PFOA, pathogens, PFOS and THMs. Transparent housing allows you to vitally monitor the filter, so you know when it’s time to replace.
This iSpring system is built in the U.S. and features an easy DIY installation. It’s just the right size to fit underneath most sink cabinets, and comes with an attractive brushed nickel faucet.
For larger homes or families, the RCC7 is a great option thanks to its high 75 GPD rating.
APEC Water Ultimate RO-90 – For households that use a lot of water, the Ultimate RO-90 is the right choice. This unit features a 90 GPD rating, and a high-flow system for nearly unlimited clean water.
Using a five-stage filtration system, this unit is WQA Gold Seal certified to remove 99% of contaminants, including: lead, chlorine, heavy metals, fluoride, bacteria, viruses and more.
Super-capacity, NSF-certified filters last twice as long as competing filters. All APEC filters feature complete carbon block to guarantee the absorption of contaminants.
The RO-90 system is easy to install thanks to the JG Quick Connect fittings, which do not require any extra steps to seal leak or any extra lock clips.
For families that have heavy water demands, the RO-90 is the best under the sink reverse osmosis system.
Express Water RO5DX – Express Water’s RO5DX system offers great value for the money. The system comes with an extra full set of water filters to save you money on your first replacement set.
Using a five-stage filtrations system, this unit can remove up to 99% water contaminants. A micron polypropylene sediment filter removes dirt, rust, sand, and silt. The GAC activated carbon filters remove odors and chlorine from the water.
Micron carbon filters also remove chlorine and other unpleasant tastes, while the TFC membrane removes 99% of chemicals and bacteria.
A chrome faucet is included, and the entire unit is small enough to fit in most sink cabinets.
Backed by a one-year warranty, the RO5DX is a great option for anyone who needs a serious filtration system.
APEC Water Top Tier ROES-PH75 – APEC’s ROES-PH75 does more than just filter the water – it raises its pH level, too. If you’re looking for a unit that will also give you alkaline water, this model is the right choice.
Added calcium minerals improve the taste of the water while delivering much-needed minerals and improving alkalinity. The U.S.-made cartridge features food-grade calcium for true water pH enhancement.
Offering a 75 GPD rating, this six-stage system eliminates 99% of chemicals, viruses, bacteria, cysts and more from your drinking water.
Easy to install, this unit has durable and high quality fittings for stress-free installation. APEC even offers video installation help to make your life easier.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Under Counter Reverse Osmosis System for You
An under-counter reverse osmosis system will give you clean, contaminant-free drinking water. While most systems are similar in design and features, there are some factors that you’ll need to consider to find the right unit for your needs. We talked about some of those factors earlier. Other things to consider include:
- Alkalinity: Remember those six-stage filtration systems we talked about earlier? In most cases, the sixth stage is a calcium filter that improves the alkalinity of the water. If you’re looking for more alkaline water, this is the type of system you want. Just make sure that the calcium filter is food-grade and from a trusted source.
- Installation: Can you install the unit yourself, or will you need to hire a professional? Most of the units on our list can be installed by the DIY enthusiast. In fact, APEC systems come with video instructions, which makes installation a breeze.
- WQA Certified: Systems that are WQA (Water Quality Association) certified, especially those with Gold Seal certification, are of the highest quality. Opt for systems with this certification for the cleanest, safest drinking water.
- Faucet: Nearly all under-sink filtration systems come with a faucet for easy connectivity. Check to make sure that the unit you’re considering also comes with a faucet and all the appropriate tubing you need for installation. Otherwise, you will need to purchase these separately at an added expense.
- Cost: The price of the RO system will probably be the deciding factor when choosing a model. Most units are around the same price, depending on the number of filtration stages and the GPD rating. Still, it’s important to set a budget and find the best quality unit in your price range.