What’s The Best Food Vac Sealer You Can Buy For Your Home?
A food vacuum sealer is one of the best tools you can have for preserving food. Using a powerful vacuum, these tools suck out oxygen from your food storage bags, eliminating freezer burn and keeping food fresher for longer.
FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealing System with Starter Kit
Our favorite for 2020
Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer
A very close runner-up
Waring Pro PVS1000 Pistol Vac Professional Vacuum Sealer System
A fantastic hand-held vacuum sealer
Just like any other household appliance, you’ll find a myriad of options when searching for a vacuum sealer. How do you find the right one for you? There are a couple of things you should think about:
- Household Size: How many people live in your household? How much food do you cook at home? The size of your household will determine how often you use the sealer and how large your food bags need to be. Some sealers are handheld and are better suited for small food portions.
- Durability: It’s important to choose a vacuum sealer that’s durable and reliable. Poor quality sealers may stop working altogether after a few months or even weeks of use. Opt for food sealers from well-known brands, like FoodSaver, Nesco, Waring and the like.
- User Feedback: In your quest to find the best food sealer, it’s often best to read through user feedback, or reviews, to see which models are best. Models with positive reviews are more likely to be reliable and perform well.
There are so many things to consider when comparing vacuum sealers, but these are three key things that will help you find a model that suits your needs. To make your decision easier, we’ve rounded up the best vacuum sealers on the market, so you don’t have to waste time sifting through and comparing models yourself.
The Top Foodsaver Reviews and Consumer Reports
FoodSaver V2244 – From the most famous brand in the food sealer industry, the FoodSaver V2244 is one of the most affordable models you can buy, and it’s surprisingly versatile.
FoodSaver includes a starter kit with a heat seal roll, a few quart heat seal bags and gallon heat seal bags, and an accessory hose. The hose can be attached to canisters, which makes your sealer even more versatile.
As an added bonus, the drip tray is removable and can be tossed in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
The sealer uses CrushFree technology, so delicate foods retain their shape. You can use this sealer to preserve bulk foods, seal jars, marinate foods, and prepare enough food for a week for easy weeknight meals.
Weston 65-0201 Pro-2300 – A top quality, premium model, the Weston 65-0201 is a professional-grade vacuum sealer that keeps foods fresher five to six times longer.
The great thing about this model is that it’s completely automatic. One simple touch seals the food in seconds. There’s also a manual mode, so you can control the sealing process.
LED lights help you see in low-light situations, and the extra-wide Teflon bar allows you to seal large bags up to 15” wide.
The double-piston vacuum pump is durable and the fan-cooled motor prevents overheating.
With a quiet operation and reduced bag waste, the Weston 65-0201 is worth the extra cost.
Nesco VS-02 – With one-touch operation and automatic turn-off, the Nesco VS-02 is affordable and easy to use.
A built-in roll storage compartment is convenient, and the bag cutter helps eliminate bag waste. You also have the option to switch to extend seal time, which is a tighter seal, to keep your food fresher for even longer.
The built-in override seal function makes it easy to seal delicate foods without crushing them.
The VS-02 comes with two rolls of bag material and 10 bags, so you have everything you need to get started.
If you’re on a tight budget and want a reliable vacuum sealer without all the bells and whistles, the Nesco VS-02 is a smart option.
FoodSaver V3240 – The FoodSaver V3240 is often called the best vacuum food sealer on the market. It’s still affordable, and it’s automatic, so sealing is a breeze.
Two vacuum speeds let you control the sealing process, so you can better protect delicate foods. There’s also a setting for moist/dry foods for optimal sealing results. The CrushFree Instant Seal option is also great for delicate foods and prevents crushing.
There’s storage for bag rolls and a convenient bag cutter built right into the machine. And the drip tray is both removable and dishwasher-safe for easy clean-up.
If you have a larger budget but the Weston model is still out of your price range, the V3240 from FoodSaver is an excellent choice.
Waring Pro PVS1000 – The Waring Pro PVS1000 is a unique sealer, and it’s the most affordable option on our list. Instead of the typical wide sealer machines, this model is actually handheld. It looks more like a glue gun than a kitchen appliance – but it works exceptionally well.
Of course, the biggest benefit that the PVS 1000 offers is that it’s compact and lightweight. For added convenience, this model is battery-powered and completely rechargeable.
A total of 24 bags are included with this sealer, and you can seal up to 30 bags on a single charge. The BPA-free bags can be refrigerated, microwaved, placed in the freezer or boiled in hot water.
But unlike a typical sealer, this model does require special bags. You can’t buy rolls because these require bags with vacuum valves. But many users say this model is compatible with FoodSaver fresh bags that have a similar valve.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Foodsaver Model for You
We’ve provided you with reviews for some of the best vacuum sealers you can buy, but how do you narrow down this list to pick the right one for your home? Here’s how to choose the right food sealer:
- Sealer Type: There are a few different types of sealers to choose from. Countertop models are the most common, but they can take up quite a bit of counter space. Many can be stored in a cabinet if you have enough room. But there are also handheld models that are extremely portable, compact, lightweight and easy to use.
- Food Type: What type of food do you plan on using the sealer for? If you seal a lot of delicate foods, consider getting a model that offers crush-free sealing, so you can protect those foods.
- Frequency of Use: How often do you plan on using the food sealer? If you have plans to use it often, you may want to invest in a higher quality, higher priced model that will last longer and offer exceptional sealing power. If you’ll only be using the sealer on occasion and for only a few different types of food, a lower-priced model should be more than sufficient.
- Price: Price is often a determining factor when choosing a vacuum sealer. Higher-priced models often have better sealing technology that holds, so freezer burn doesn’t creep in after a week. But you’ll also find moderately-priced models that offer excellent sealing capabilities. Buy the best quality machine you can afford, even if that means going on the high end of your budget.