What Are The Best Vacuums For Allergies In 2015?
Allergies aren’t exactly at the top of your “fun” list, but the right vacuum can help keep your usual symptoms at bay. Pet dander, pollen and other allergens make their way into your home, causing you some serious irritation. Eliminating these household allergens is the key, and using a vacuum with a HEPA filter is the solution.
Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Plus Bagless Upright
Our favorite for 2020
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional (NV356E)
A very close runner-up
ProTeam Backpack Vacuums Super CoachVac HEPA Commercial Backpack Vacuum Cleaner with Versatile Tool Kit & Telescoping Wand
A brilliant backpack vacuum cleaner
The good news is that a lot of modern vacuums come with a built-in HEPA filter. The bad news is that having so many options can make it difficult to narrow down your options. When comparing models, here are a few things you should consider:
- Filtration System: A HEPA filter is an obvious must-have, but you may also want to look at the vacuum’s filtration system as a whole. Some models, like the Shark model we have on our list below, use special technology that keeps allergens trapped in the canister, so they don’t return to the air. Others have multi-stage systems that trap more than 99% of household allergens.
- Vacuum Type: Do you prefer an upright or a canister vacuum? Maybe you want one that can act as both. The type of vacuum you choose is a personal one, but canisters are lightweight and more portable. Uprights are powerful and easy to use, but can be difficult to get into tight spaces. Alternatively, you can choose a model with a lift-away canister that allows for the portability of traditional canister vacuums.
- Quality: Of course, you also want to consider the quality of the vacuum. Price is one indication, although a higher price doesn’t always mean higher quality and vice versa. User feedback is another thing to consider, as positive ratings are an indication that the vacuum is of high quality.
These are the three most important things we look at when comparing models. And to make your job easier, we’ve rounded up some of the best vacuums on the market.
Reviews – The Top Rated Vacuum with HEPA Filter
Hoover WindTunnel T-Series – A bagless upright with some serious power. The WindTunnel T-Series from Hoover is affordable and exceptionally lightweight. It also comes with a built-in permanent HEPA filter. That’s right – you won’t be spending a fortune on replacement filters.
The WindTunnel technology is what makes this vacuum so powerful, and even after years of use, the suction is still strong.
The T-Series boasts five position height adjustments, so you can choose the right one for your flooring type. It also has a 13.5”-wide nozzle and a bumper that won’t scuff up your walls or flooring.
With Hoover’s Rewind technology, the 27-foot cord is completely retractable, which saves you time.
If you want an affordable, powerful vacuum with a HEPA filter, the WindTunnel T-Series is an excellent choice.
Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Pet – The T-Series Pet from Hoover is just like the previous model on this list, but is designed especially for homes with furry family members.
The permanent HEPA filter is easy to clean, and removes household allergens for a cleaner, healthier home. There’s also an indicator that lets you know when it’s time to clean or check both the HEPA and the carbon filters – a definite convenience.
And this model comes with handy tools to eliminate allergens and pet hair form every inch of your home. A pet hair turbo brush removes hair from those hard-to-reach spots, while the crevice tool and wand let you squeeze into tight areas with ease.
If you have pets, the T-Series Pet vacuum is a smart investment.
ProTeam Backpack Vacuums – The ProTeam Backpack Vacuum is exactly what it sounds like – a vacuum that you wear on your back. Far from traditional in design, this vacuum has two things going for it: increased mobility and a HEPA filter.
Because you’re carrying the canister on your back, it’s easy to clean those hard-to-reach areas, (like underneath tables) that upright vacuums simply cannot get into.
The vacuum weighs just 11 pounds, so it won’t hurt your back. And the convenient accessories make it easy to reach just about every crevice – from floor to ceiling.
Did we mention there’s a Four Level filtration system that removes 99.97% of all asthma triggers and allergens? This is the vacuum you need if you have serious allergies and/or asthma.
VonHaus 600W 2-in-1 Corded Stick Vacuum – Affordable and lightweight, the VonHaus 600W comes with a HEPA filtration. This model boasts suction power totaling 130 air watts and a dust capacity of 1.2 liters.
The extension tube can be extended all the way for upright use, or you can use this vacuum without the extension tube as a handheld machine.
The HEPA filter traps household allergens, and the light weight of the vacuum makes it easy to clean stairs, rugs, carpets and even furniture. A crevice tool is also included as well as a small brush attachment and a shoulder strap.
If you’re looking for an affordable vacuum with a built-in HEPA filter, the VonHaus 600W may be the ideal choice for you.
Shark Navigator Lift-Away – The Shark Navigator Lift-Away is a professional-grade vacuum with an extra-large capacity and light weight. And with Shark’s famous Complete Seal Technology plus a HEPA filter, this is easily one of the best vacuums for allergies.
The Complete Seal Technology actually traps dust and allergens inside of the vacuum, so they don’t return back to the air when you’re emptying the canister. Of course, the HEPA filter also traps most household allergens.
If you have hard flooring, the microfiber attachment sweeps and dusts in one swoop, eliminating dirt and debris from your floors with ease. And the canister is removable, so you can use it as a canister vacuum when cleaning stairs and other hard-to-reach areas.
Although this model is one of the premium models on our list, it’s one of the best when it comes to removing allergens because of the Complete Seal Technology.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Allergies
After reading through our reviews, you may be wondering “now what?” It’s not always easy to narrow down your choices to just one model, and buying the best doesn’t always mean you have to choose a Dyson HEPA filter vacuum or another high-end brand.
So, how do you choose? Keep these factors in mind:
- Disposable or Permanent Filter: A HEPA filter is what makes one vacuum better than another for allergies. There are two main types: permanent and disposable. Permanent filters are often the preferred choice because they can be washed and reused. Disposable filters need to be replaced every so often.
- Pets: Do you have pets? If so, you’ll want a vacuum that’s designed to pick up as much pet hair and dander as possible. Look for models that have brush attachments and other tools to eliminate as many allergens as possible.
- Portability: Lightweight models and those with lift-away canisters are more portable and easier to maneuver, but may not be as powerful as a conventional upright vacuum. Consider the portability of the model if you have many hard-to-reach areas in your home. If your home doesn’t have stairs and your furniture is easy to work around, then a typical upright vacuum may be the right choice for you.
- Price: Finally, you want to think about your budget. Some vacuums can be pricey, especially those that are designed with allergy-sufferers in mind. While you should never spend more than you can afford, quality should always come before price if you want a vacuum that truly can eliminate household allergens.