Let Us Help You Find the Quietest Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair
Have you ever noticed that most pet vacuums are loud? We’re led to believe that per hair vacuums need more powerful suction, so they’re naturally louder. While that may be true to some extent, you can now find pet-centric vacuums that won’t wake the neighbors.
Shark Rotator Pro Lift-Away Vacuum
Our favorite for 2020
Shark Sonic Duo Hard Floor Cleaner
A very close runner-up
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away HEPA Bagless 3-IN-1 Upright Vacuum
Ultra-quiet and Lightweight
But how exactly can you compare models to make sure that you’re getting a quiet vacuum? We make things a little easier by reviewing five of the quietest vacuums on the market, but here are a few tips to help you make your own comparisons:
- Vacuum Type: Are you looking for an upright or a canister vacuum? Deciding on a vacuum type will help you narrow down your choices. Canister vacuums are easier to maneuver up and down stairs, while uprights will help you cover more ground quickly. Uprights also tend to be a bit noisier, so keep that in mind.
- Brand: Some brands have a better reputation for quality than others. Do your research, and learn more about the quality of the vacuums the brand produces. If you’re having a hard time finding information on the company, you may want to cross them off your list. Vacuums can be an investment, and you don’t want to waste your hard-earned money on a poor quality model.
- Customer Ratings: While you’re doing your research, check out customer ratings for the vacuum you’re considering. Even if the brand has a great reputation, you may find that the vacuum you like has poor ratings. Maybe there’s a design flaw, or maybe the vacuum is an entry-level model made with poor quality materials. In either case, you want to avoid models that have bad ratings and reviews.
Reviews – Our Favorite Quiet Pet Hair Vacuums for 2020
Shark NV501 Rotator – The NV501 Rotator is the best Shark vacuum for pet hair, and it’s exceptionally quiet. What we really love about this model is that it serves as three vacuums in one: an upright, a canister and a LiftAway Pod.
Featuring Shark’s Complete Seal Technology, this vacuum traps and seals in allergens, so they don’t make their way back into the air when you empty the canister. There’s a HEPA filter, too, to remove nearly all household allergens.
The ultra-quiet operation and light weight of this vacuum make it the ideal choice for homes with stairs. And the NV501 comes with pet tools as well as ergonomic cleaning accessories.
The NV501 is our top pick because it serves not only as an upright, but a pet canister vacuum as well.
Shark Rocket Professional Upright – Professional-grade and affordable, the Shark Rocket Professional Upright is extra-quiet and weighs less than 13 pounds.
Like the previous Shark model, this one features Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter to trap in allergens and prevent them from making their way back into the air. The Rocket also comes with premium pet tools, so you can remove hair from virtually every surface in your home.
This upright model has swivel steering for easy maneuverability around corners and furniture. It’s great for deep carpet cleaning, too.
As an added bonus, the Rocket comes with a quick-release wand to reach surfaces above the floor, and the 30-foot cord lets you reach further without having to switch to a new outlet.
Shark Sonic Duo Hard Floor Cleaner – Another pick from Shark, the Sonic Duo is a hard floor cleaner that’s quiet and ideal for homes with pets. If you’re tired of breaking your back washing your hard flooring on your hands and knees, the Sonic Duo is a smart option.
Safe for use on all sealed floors, this cleaner delivers 1,000 scrubs per minute. The swivel steering makes it easy to clean around furniture and corners, and the 25-foot cord length allows you to clean a larger area before needing to change outlets.
Quiet and safe for use around kids and pets, this cleaner comes with a 7:1 cleaner concentrate that makes 7 bottles of cleaning solution that leaves floors with a glossy finish.
The Sonic Duo comes with a hard floor polishing pad, floor polish, scrubbing pad, dusting pad and a refillable bottle.
New Prolux 7000 Upright – If you have multiple pets in your home, the Prolux 7000 Upright may just be the ideal solution for you. Featuring a hospital-grade HEPA filter, this vacuum will keep your air and floors clean and fresh.
Unlike our other picks, this model uses traditional vacuum bags, and six are included. Three-stage filtration removes more dirt and allergens for a cleaner, fresher home. Additional filters and bags can be purchased online.
The Prolux 7000 is designed for deep carpet cleaning, and its floating head automatically adjusts to different carpet heights. Several tools are included to help you remove pet hair and dirt from all surfaces in your home.
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away – The Rotator Professional Lift-Away from Shark is an ultra-quiet upright that’s designed to remove household allergens and pet hair.
Like other Shark models, this one features a HEPA filter and Complete Seal Technology that traps allergens and prevents them from escaping when emptying the canister. The Never Loses Suction technology also ensures that the vacuum always removes deep-down dirt.
The enhanced swivel steering makes it easy to clean around objects in your home and to get around corners. Premium pet tools are included, so you can easily remove hair from your couches, stairs and everywhere in between.
We like that this vacuum’s HEPA filter is washable, so you don’t have to continuously purchase replacement filters.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Silent Vacuum for Your Pets
While you’ll never find a completely silent vacuum, newer models are quieter than ever. If you want a quieter vacuum that still does a good job getting rid of pet hair and dander, there are a few key things you should consider:
- Filter System: What type of filtration system, if any, does the vacuum have? In the very least, it should have a built-in HEPA filter that removes household allergens. Some models, like the Prolux 7000 also have multi-stage filtration systems that remove other contaminants from the air. Shark vacuums have Complete Seal Technology that traps allergens.
- Quiet Operation: Look for vacuums that explicitly state “quiet operation” or something similar in the product description.
- Pet Tools and Accessories: If you have pets, you want to make sure that your vacuum comes with all of the tools you need to keep your home hair-free. Pet tools, like turbo brushes, can remove hair from couches, corners and other hard-to-reach areas.
- Versatility: Some vacuums, like the NV501 Rotator from Shark, offer multiple types of vacuums in one convenient machine. This means that you can usually use the vacuum as an upright or a canister. Versatility may be an important factor for you, especially if you have a lot of stairs to vacuum.
- Price: Finally, you need to consider your budget. Pet vacuums tend to come with a higher price tag, and if you’re looking for a quiet model, you can expect to spend a little bit more. With that said, these vacuums are often worth the extra cost because they last longer and do a better job at deep cleaning your carpets.