Which Toilet Paper Is the Softest? Read Our Guide to Find Out
You probably grew up using one type of toilet paper in your home. Most people find a brand they like and stick to it because let’s face it, bathroom matters are a sensitive topic. People are fiercely loyal to their favorite brand, but what if your usual brand changes or just isn’t doing it for you anymore?
Angel Soft Bath Tissue
Our favorite for 2020
Quilted Northern Ultra Soft & Strong
A very close runner-up
Scott Extra Soft Mega Roll Bath Tissue
Promises a combination of comfort and value
When it comes to soft toilet paper, it’s easy for brands to fall in and out of favor. We’re going to share our top picks for the softest toilet paper brands on the market, so you can find the right one for you. But first, let’s talk about how to compare these brands.
- Softness Factor: What makes the toilet paper soft? Do they use a quilting pattern? Are they using a special material or layer design? It can be difficult to judge the softness of toilet paper without using it firsthand, but you can get some clues from the product description.
- Ply Count: Two-ply toilet paper is typically softer than single-play, although there are exceptions. A two-ply roll has two layers of paper versus one with single-ply rolls.
- Sheet Size: Consider the size and number of sheets on a roll. More sheets mean you’ll be changing the roll less often, and longer sheets keep you from using more than you need. Some companies say they offer 60% or more sheets than leading brands, but take these claims with a grain of salt. We’ve seen buyers compare double rolls from different brands, and some are definitely larger than others. Not surprisingly, there’s no standard for what’s truly a double roll, or mega roll for that matter.
Our Top Toilet Paper Reviews for 2020
Angel Soft Bath Tissue 48 Rolls – With a name like Angel Soft, it’s no surprise that this is the best rated toilet paper for softness.
To give that plush, soft feeling, these rolls are two-play, and you get 264 sheets per roll. The quilted design is pleasant to look at and adds to the overall softness of the tissue.
Angel Soft is septic-safe, unscented and flushable. And the box comes with 12 packs of 4 rolls, which makes them easy to store.
If you want ultra-soft toilet paper that’s ultra-affordable, Angel Soft is a great choice.
Quilted Northern Ultra Soft & Strong 24 Rolls – Quilted Northern’s Ultra Soft & Strong toilet tissue is both plush and strong, which means you can use it without fear of it tearing in the process.
And if you run out of regular tissues, these are soft on the nose as well.
Ultra Soft & Strong is a two-ply tissue that’s unscented, septic-safe and 100% flushable. Each roll contains a whopping 340 sheets, so you’ll be changing the roll less often.
This pack includes 24 supreme rolls, which is equivalent to more than 90 regular rolls.
Quilted Northern built this toilet tissue with its CleanStretch technology, which minimizes tissue ripping and separation. The embossed design adds to the overall softness of the tissue and works as an extra safeguard against ripping.
Scott Extra Soft Bath Tissue 48 Rolls – Scott Extra Soft is the only single-ply toilet paper on our list, but don’t let this dissuade you. Scott tissue is extra-soft and ultra-strong, so you enjoy the best of both worlds.
Each 12-count package (there are four total in the box to give you 48 rolls altogether) is equal to 36 regular rolls, so you’re essentially getting 144 rolls total. That’s a lot of toilet paper.
For a single or two-person household, you won’t have to buy more toilet tissue for six months or more.
Naturally, this toilet paper is safe for septic tanks and is completely unscented.
If you want single-ply toilet paper that’s both strong and soft, Scott Extra Soft is the only way to go.
Charmin Ultra Soft Toilet Paper 48 Rolls – Charmin’s Ultra Soft toilet paper is 75% more absorbent than leading brands, and you can use four times less tissue, which means you’ll save money in the long run. Charmin is known for being extra-soft, and you can’t beat the value of this paper.
Those 48 double rolls are equivalent to 96 regular rolls. Because each roll lasts longer than the competition, you’ll be spending less on toilet paper and changing the roll less often.
Like all other brands on our list, Charmin Ultra Soft is septic-safe and won’t clog your toilet.
And because this toilet paper is unscented, it’s ideal for kids to use and adults with sensitive skin.
Charmin Ultra Soft Toilet Paper 24 Rolls – If you don’t have quite as much space for storage and want bigger rolls than the double rolls above, Charmin Ultra Soft comes in 24-count box with mega rolls. Each mega roll is equivalent to four regular rolls, so you’re still getting 96 rolls worth of toilet paper – but in a more compact package.
With Charmin, you can use four times less toilet paper than with leading brands, and each sheet is 75% more absorbent than the competition.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Softest Option from All the Toilet Paper Brands Out There
Buying toilet paper should be easy, but it’s not. Depending on your personal preference and bathroom habits, you may not be able to just pick the cheapest paper you can find and be happy with it.
If you prefer softer toilet tissue, here are some tips to help you find the right brand and type for you:
- Quilted Design: Tissue with a quilted design tends to feel softer and is easier on the skin than brands with flat or ribbed designs. Look for plush, quilted designs – most of the leading brands have them.
- Roll Count: Decide how many rolls you really need. Toilet paper isn’t a perishable item, so you can stock up. But do think about how much storage space you have. If you live in a small apartment, do you really have the room to store 48 rolls of toilet paper? Unless you don’t mind stashing rolls in your bedroom and hall closets, you should consider how much space you have and how many rolls come in the box.
- Lint: Soft tissue has a tendency to produce “lint” – i.e. little flakes of paper. While not a complete deal breaker, this may be something you want to keep in mind if your toilet paper holder is close to the toilet – those little flakes may wind up on your clothes.
- Price: Don’t forget to factor in cost. Toilet paper is a necessity and one that you’ll probably buy often. Choose the most affordable toilet tissue that meets your needs, so you don’t spend a small fortune on something that gets thrown away anyway.