Our Pick of The Best Ductless Air Conditioners on The Market
Whether you live in an older home, travel in an RV or have a room in your home that doesn’t get cool no matter what you do, a ductless AC is a convenient way to beat the heat without having to make major renovations to your home.
Pioneer Ductless Wall Mount Mini Split INVERTER Air Conditioner with Heat Pump
Our favorite for 2020
9,000 BTU Innova Ductless Mini-split Air Conditioner
A very close runner-up
Pioneer Air Conditioner Inverter+ Ductless Wall Mount Mini Split System Air Conditioner & Heat Pump
Includes high efficiency inverter to save power
Because these units do not require a duct system, they can be installed virtually anywhere.
If this is your first time buying a ductless AC, you may not know which model to choose or where to start your search. We’re going to make your life easier by sharing five of the best units on the market.
Here are some things to keep in mind when comparing each model:
- Capacity: Some units have a 9000 BTU capacity, while others have a 12,000 BTU or higher capacity. Choose one that will suit your needs and the size of your space. The larger the space, the higher the capacity you’ll need.
- Pre-Charged: Does the unit come pre-charged with refrigerant, or will you need to fill it yourself? Ideally, you’ll choose a unit that’s pre-charged for convenience. Otherwise, expect to purchase refrigerant separately. And you might need to hire an HVAC technician, too.
- Modes: How many modes does the unit offer? Most will offer four: cooling, heating, dehumidification, and ventilation. These modes allow you to keep your home comfortable all year long – no matter the season. All the models on our list offer these modes.
- Installation Kit: Most ductless AC units come with installation kits, so you can easily install the unit in your home. These kits provide everything you need to get your unit up and running, but some installations are still more complicated than others. Consider the ease of installation, as you may need to hire a technician to install the unit in your home.
The Top Ductless AC Reviews for 2020
Pioneer Ductless Mini Split INVERTER AC – If you’re looking for an ultra-quiet and extremely efficient ductless AC, Pioneer’s ductless mini split model is a smart buy. Powerful, dependable, and sleek in design, this AC will keep you cool all summer long.
This mini split inverter air conditioner delivers 9,000 BTU and uses 110-120 VAC. With a 15 SEER high efficiency rating and ETL approval, this AC will save you money on your energy bills each month.
Included with this AC unit is an installation kit, a 16-foot length line and a slew of accessories. The unit also comes with a remote control with a digital display that shows you the temperature and allows you to adjust the settings from anywhere in the room.
Pioneer 9,000 BTU Ductless AC – Pioneer offers another 9,000 BTU ductless air conditioner that’s highly efficient and ultra-quiet. This mini split inverter AC uses 208-230 VAC, and has a 23.5 SEER ultra-high efficiency rating. ETL-approved and AHRI listed, this Energy Star appliance is incredibly energy efficient.
Like the previous Pioneer model, this AC comes with a wireless remote that allows you to choose between four operating modes: heating, cooling, ventilation, and dehumidification. A completely automatic setting is also available, and you can set a timer to start and/or stop the AC at whatever time you please.
A special nighttime mode automatically adjusts to comfortable temperatures, and a swinging air louver automatically changes the airflow direction for complete cooling.
Pioneer Air Conditioner Inverter – If you’re in need of something a little more powerful, Pioneer’s 12,000 BTU model may be the right choice. Extremely efficient and quiet, this model offers both heating and cooling functionality.
This ductless mini split model features a heat pump system, and offers a cooling capacity of 12,000 BTU with a 17.2 SEER efficiency rating. The heater has a 12,000 BTU capacity and 9 hspf efficiency rating.
A wireless remote is included with this model that allows you to adjust the temperature and mode from anywhere in the room, and the included wall mount allows you to hang the AC wherever you please.
There are four modes to choose from with this model: heating, cooling, ventilation, and dehumidification.
Senville SENL-09CD – The SENL-09CD is a 9000 BTU mini split AC from Senville that comes equipped with a heat pump for dual functionality.
Offering a 15 SEER efficiency rating, this unit comes with an easy installation kit and a 16-foot copper line. It also comes with a low ambient kit, so you can cool or heat your room even if temperatures are as cold as -5F.
The SENL-09CD also comes with a wireless remote for easy temperature adjustments from anywhere in the room.
This mini split AC is ultra-quiet and comes backed by a five-year warranty, and the Toshiba investor compressor adds to the overall durability and reliability of this model.
If you’re looking for a ductless AC that’s highly efficient and easy to install, this Senville unit is a great option.
9,000 BTU Innova Mini-Split AC – Innova’s mini split AC offers a 9000 BTU capacity and an ultra-quiet operation. Offering a 15 SEER efficiency rating, this unit won’t cost a fortune to run.
The unit comes pre-charged with R410a Refrigerant, which is eco-friendly, and much like the Pioneer models, this unit comes with a wireless remote for added convenience.
Four modes are available to keep your home comfortable all season long: cooling, heating, fan, and dehumidifier. Included with this unit is a 16-foot line and everything else you need to install this ductless AC.
If you’re looking for a unit that won’t cost you a lot to run, this Innova model may be the right fit for you.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Ductless AC for You
Ductless air conditioners are an investment. Before you shell out your hard-earned money on a unit, you want to make sure that it’s reliable, durable, and easy to use. We talked about some things to look for earlier. Here are some other things to consider when looking at units:
- Size: The size of the unit is important. Most models are similar in size, but it’s still important to check the dimensions to make sure it will fit in your home.
- Efficiency Rating: Most units come with a SEER efficiency rating. Look for models that have a 15 or higher rating for ultra-high efficiency. One model on our list is an Energy Star appliance, so you know it’s energy efficient. The higher the efficiency, the more money you’ll save on your energy bills each month.
- Noise: Conventional window ACs are loud and some ductless models are, too. If you’ll be sleeping in the same room as the unit, you may need to consider noise levels. Fortunately, all the models on our list are extremely quiet, so you can stay comfortable without having to wear ear plugs.
- Wireless Remote: While not a necessity, a wireless remote makes it easy to adjust the temperature, change the mode, set a timer, and perform a variety of other tasks from anywhere in the room. Most wireless remotes also have a digital display that shows you the current temperature for added convenience.
- Price: The cost of the unit is also an important consideration. Some ductless ACs can cost several hundreds of dollars, so be prepared to make an investment. With that said, the cost is still much lower than installing a central heating and cooling system. Set a budget, and find a model that you can afford. Most are similar in price.