Our Guide to Finding the Best Lumbar Support Cushion
If you work an office job, you know that sitting all day can wreak havoc on your posture – and your back. Most of us spend eight hours a day slumped over a desk staring at a computer screen. Eventually, back pain becomes a serious problem.
Love Home Memory Foam 3d Ventilative Mesh Lumbar Support Cushion
Our favorite for 2020
Love Home Memory Foam Lumbar Support Cushion
A very close runner-up
Sweet Relief Lumbar Back Support Cushion
Comes with a breathable mesh back support
Whether you’re already in pain or just want to take preventative measures, a lumbar support cushion can help you maintain proper posture throughout the day. Good posture helps prevent back issues and keeps your core strong.
What should you be looking for when shopping for a pillow? What makes one cushion better than the next? Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- Cushion Design: Look for pillows that are specifically designed for lumbar support. You’ll typically see the words “lumbar support” somewhere in the product’s name. These pillows are curved, similar to an oversized car headrest, to provide your back with comfortable support.
- Material Type: Most modern lumbar cushions are made with memory foam because it offers personalized support where you need it most. Memory foam is the ideal choice, but you also want to consider the pillow’s external material. You’ll find that some cushions have a velvety exterior, while others are more breathable. If you spend a lot of time at your desk and your office has the tendency to get hot in the summer, you may want to go with a more breathable cushion. Otherwise, you may just take the pillow off the chair if it gets too hot, defeating the purpose of buying one in the first place.
The design of the cushion and the material type are two important things to think about when buying a back support pillow. To help you find the right pillow for your needs, we’ve selected five of the best models on the market.
The Best Chair Back Support Pillow Reviews in 2020
Love Home Memory Foam 3d Ventilative Mesh Lumbar Support Cushion – Love Home’s 3D lumbar support cushion features cradling memory foam and a ventilated mesh cover to keep your back cool all day long.
Generous in size, this cushion spans the entire length and width of the back to provide you with complete support. The enhanced curved design keeps your spine properly aligned to prevent lower back pain.
A simple strap and clip on the back of the pillow allows you to easily attach this cushion to your desk chair. If you have a wide chair or you want to use the cushion in your car, a strap extender is included for use on wider seats.
With dimensions of 13” x 13” x 14”, this is a cushion that can accommodate virtually all users and give them the support they need.
ERGO-Pedic Low Back Lumbar Support Cushion – ERGO-Pedic’s lower back lumbar support cushion supports the spine’s natural curve, helping to alleviate discomfort from painful or bulging discs.
But you don’t have to have a serious back issue to benefit from this cushion. If you work a desk job, this pillow can also help prevent or alleviate lower back pain.
The contoured shape of this pillow keeps your spine properly aligned, alleviating excess pressure on your sacrum, hips and pelvis when sitting.
A nylon strap allows you to easily attach this cushion to your chair, while the clips keep the pillow firmly in place.
If you’re looking for a pillow that truly promotes proper posture, the ERGO-Pedic lower back cushion is a smart choice.
Love Home Memory Foam Lumbar Support Cushion – The memory foam lumbar support cushion from Love Home features a velvety soft cushion cover and supportive memory foam for lasting comfort. This cushion is very similar to the first cushion on our list. In fact, the only real difference is the pillow’s cover.
The contoured design and memory foam filling relieves pressure to prevent lower back pain. It’s also anatomically correct for optimal comfort that lasts all day. The size of this pillow is slightly smaller than the first Love Home cushion, with dimensions of 13” x 11” x 4.7”.
The velvet cover is removable and washable for convenience, and comes in a wide range of colors to complement your office décor.
Elephix – Lower Back Support Pillow – Elephix’s support pillow was designed to alleviate lower back pain, and is chiropractor approved. Aside from pain relief, this pillow also helps you maintain proper posture and keep your spine properly aligned throughout the day.
Made with high quality, non-toxic memory foam, the Elephix cushion doesn’t emit toxic chemicals and odors like other memory foam pillows.
An extension strap is included with the cushion, so you can easily attach it to chairs up to 72”around. It also comes with a travel case, so you can take your supportive pillow with you wherever you go.
Affordably priced, this pillow is the ideal choice for anyone on a tight budget.
Sweet Relief Lumbar Back Support Cushion – Sweet Relief’s back support cushion comes with a mesh back support for maximum pain relief. We like this model because you get two supportive cushions for the price of one.
The support pillow is built with premium-quality memory foam for optimal support that doesn’t compromise on comfort.
If you find that the memory foam doesn’t provide enough support, simply switch to the mesh support. The support allows for breathable support with a solid frame to keep your back in proper alignment. The mesh support attachment is ideal for all-day use and will keep you cool.
Both supports come with straps to keep them firmly in place on your chair.
If you want the most value for your money, the Sweet Relief support cushion is the best option.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Seat Cushion for Your Office Chair
Buying a back support cushion is more complicated than you might think. There’s a lot to consider: the health of your spine, your posture, pain. The wrong pillow can worsen all three of these, so it’s important to choose a high quality cushion that’s designed for lumbar support. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- The Extent of the Support: How much support do you need, and where do you need it most? Some pillows, like the first on our list, cover nearly the entire back. Others support just the lower back area. Determine where you need the support and how much you need. A mesh support may be the better option if you have serious pain, as memory foam can compress and lose support after extended consecutive use.
- The Size of Your Chair: It may seem trivial, but the size of your chair is important. If you have a wide office chair, the strap may not fit all the way around. Check to make sure that the pillow’s strap is long enough to fit the width of your chair. To be on the safe side, you may consider buying a cushion that comes with a strap extender.
- Frequency of Use: How often do you plan on using the pillow? If you’re going to be using it every day, make sure that you choose a durable, high quality cushion that can withstand heavy use.
- Price: The pillow’s cost is important as well. Make sure that the cushion is within your budget, and avoid buying the cheapest model you can find. A back support pillow is an investment in your health, so buy the best quality you can comfortably afford.