Which Companies Are Producing the Best Portable Air Conditioners?
No one likes to sweat in their home when they’re just sitting on the couch. An air conditioner unit that is placed in the window will take up your outside view, and installing central air is expensive. The next best thing is a portable air conditioner.
Honeywell MN10CESWW 10
Our favorite for 2017
EdgeStar Ultra Compact 8
A very close runner-up
Comes with easy-to-install venting kit
Many of these units can be found in offices and warehouses, too.
Easy to transport and minimal setup required, these small units are able to cool larger rooms and homes with ease. They often include additional functions as well, such as acting as a dehumidifier to take the “stickiness” out of the air.
When reviewing models, you’ll want to find not only the quietest portable air conditioner, but one that is able to cool your space adequately.
Two of the many features and specs you’ll want to compare are:
- Cooling Space: How much space is the air conditioner rated to cool? This is a major consideration because if the unit isn’t able to cool your entire upstairs, for example, it may not be the right choice for you.
- Remote Control: The ability to use a remote control to change your air conditioner is a nice feature, but it shouldn’t be the ultimate deciding factor. You’ll need to be in the same room to adjust the settings, so it’s often just as easy to get up and adjust the setting. But if the unit will be used in the living room, it’s nice to be able to adjust the air conditioning while not breaking away from your favorite television show.
We’ll be covering a few more features to consider in our buying guide at the end of this article.
5 Models from Our Favorite Brands
Honeywell MN10CESWW 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner – The Honeywell MN10CESWW is a portable air conditioner that comes in a variety of colors: white, black and black/silver. This model offers 10,000 BTU of cool-air blasting power along with a no drip design and auto-evaporation system.
Designed to cool spaces of up to 350 sq. ft., this unit has dehumidification of up to 70 pints per day, and a remote control allows for complete control over the unit.
Feather-touch operations make changing the unit’s temperature and settings on the digital display LCD simple and easy. Four castor wheels are included for easy transport, and a flexible exhaust hose is included for easy setup.
Haier HPN12XCM Portable Air Conditioner – The HPN12XCM is offered in two sizes: 12,000 and 14,000 BTU. The 12,000 BTU unit can cool areas of 350 – 525 sq. Ft., while the larger size is rated to cool spaces 500 – 700 sq. ft. in size. Sleek in design, this model includes a full function remote for easy adjustments.
A time and temperature display is on the unit, and all temperature settings are adjusted digitally for precision cooling.
Three cooling fans are incorporated into the unit as well as three fan speeds. A dehumidifier is built into the unit, and there is a 24-hour on and off timer, too. A quick install kit is included, and there is a washable mesh filter to make maintenance a breeze.
EdgeStar Ultra Compact 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner – The EdgeStar Ultra Compact is filled with 8,000 BTU of power. Small in size, this unit is meant to cool smaller areas with a cooling range of 150 – 225 sq. ft. A 24-hour timer can be programmed to keep your home cool when you need it most.
An adjustable digital thermostat control allows for easy settings changes as well as the initiating of the unit’s dehumidifier function.
The pre-filter is washable, and there is a replaceable carbon filter included, too. A 55” window kit is offered as well as an extendable exhaust hose. The dehumidifier is able to handle up to 50 pints a day, and a self-evaporation system ensures you don’t need to manually drain the unit.
Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner – If you’re after the futuristic look, this is a great air conditioner for you. This model is powerful at 14,000 BTU, and it uses dual hose function for even more power. A patented auto-drain function is offered to remove all of the condensation from the machine automatically.
Three modes are available: fan, dehumidifier and air conditioner.
An antimicrobial filter reduces allergens and bacteria while the unit comes with a remote control for easy setting changes. The unit is able to cool up to 500 sq. ft. of space, and multi-directional castors allow users to maneuver the unit from one room to the next with ease.
LG 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner – LG offers a 10,000 BTU model that is able to cool a room up to 300 sq. ft. Small and compact, the unit uses a standard 115-volt outlet, and there is a dehumidification function that can dehumidify 2.45 pints per hour.
An LED display makes changing settings easy, while the accompanying remote has an LCD display for easy reading.
There are two cooling speeds and two fan speeds, too. A 24-hour timer allows you to properly set when the unit comes on and off every day. Water is removed via the auto evaporation function so that you can use the unit all day long without need to remove any water in the process.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Portable AC Unit for You
You’ve been looking at portable air conditioner ratings and reviews, but you’re still not sure which model you want to buy. This is a problem a lot of people face because all of these units will be able to cool some space.
Of course, you want to be able to cool the entire space for your needs – whether it be one room or an entire floor of the home.
There are a lot of things to consider that you might easily overlook when making your purchase:
- Dehumidification: Humidity can make a home feel hot and sticky. This is where units that offer dehumidifying functions can be invaluable. If you live in a hot and humid area, it only makes sense to buy a model that can dehumidify your home, too.
- Speeds: The speed of cooling can be controlled via the different speeds offered. If a unit only has one speed, this will result in higher power usage and less control for you. All units with multiple speed options allow you to cool your space faster or slower in an effort to conserve energy.
- Evaporation System: An auto evaporation system is priceless. These systems are able to remove all of the water build up from the air conditioner. If a unit doesn’t offer automatic water evaporation, you’ll need to manually remove the water, which is time-consuming.
Portable air conditioners should also come with a kit to help with the exhaust as well as castor wheels for easy movement. All models will have a varying degree of cooling based on their stated cooling range. For example, a unit that can cool 300 – 500 sq. ft. may only be able to cool 330 sq. ft.