Use Our Countertop Dishwasher Ratings to Find the Ideal Unit for You
If you don’t have space for a built-in dishwasher, a countertop model will take away the pain of washing dishes by hand. But just like any other appliance, finding the right one for your home isn’t always an easy task. It doesn’t help that virtually every portable dishwasher looks the same and has (mostly) the same features.
SPT Countertop Dishwasher
Our favorite for 2017
SPT Countertop Dishwasher
A very close runner-up
SPT SD-9241SS Energy Star Portable Dishwasher
We’re really big fans of this unit
When comparing models, here are a few things to consider:
- Type: Are you looking for a countertop dishwasher, or would you prefer a floor model on wheels? Floor models usually have a higher capacity (8 place settings vs. 6), but come at much higher price.
- Durability and Reliability: Some portable dishwashers have a reputation for leaking and breaking down after just a few weeks or months of use. Look for models that are reliable and durable. Dishwashers that are highly rated by customers are usually your best options. And models that have stainless steel interiors are usually more durable.
- Ease of Use and Connectivity: Are the dishwasher’s controls user-friendly? Is the unit easy to hook up? These are two very important things that need to be considered before buying a portable dishwasher. If the unit is difficult to use or doesn’t connect easily, you’re less likely to use it.
We know how tedious and time consuming it can be to sift through and compare dishwashers – no one has the time for that. That’s why we’ve hand-picked and reviewed five of the top portable models on the market to help you find the right one for your needs.
Top Portable Dishwasher Reviews
SPT SD-2201W – Energy Star rated and compact in design, the SD-2201W from SPT cleans dishes just as well as a full-size dishwasher, but is small enough to fit in between your countertop and cabinets. With a silver finish and stainless steel interior, this countertop dishwasher is both sleek and durable.
Six wash cycles are included, which allow you to choose the most appropriate setting for your dishes.
Installation is easy. Just attach the included adapter to your sink’s faucet, and you’re ready to start washing. Easy to use, this dishwasher has just three buttons: power, program and start/reset.
The SD-2201W is the most premium model on our list, but it’s worth the cost for the efficiency and ease of use.
SPT SD-2201S – The SD-2201S is similar in design to our first pick, but comes at a lower price. The primary difference between the two models (aside from price) is that the SD-2201W comes with built-in lights, while this model does not.
Boasting a 6-place-setting capacity, this model has more than enough space to accommodate small families and parties. Six wash cycles are built-in, too: normal, light, heavy, soak, speed and glass.
The included faucet adapter makes it easy to hook up this model – no plumbing connections or permanent installation required. The user-friendly controls make washing a breeze, and the dispensers for dishwashing liquid and rinse aid are convenient.
If the SD-2201W is out of your price range, we highly recommend the SD-2201S. The features are nearly identical and the cleaning power is excellent.
Danby DDW611WLED – The Danby DDW611WLED is one of our favorite models because it’s so efficient. Like the other models on our list, this dishwasher is Energy Star certified, so it uses less power than competing countertop dishwashers.
It’s water efficient, too, with just a little over 3 gallons used on a normal wash cycle.
A stainless steel interior enhances the durability of this model, and the electronic controls make it easy to choose the right wash cycle – six are included.
The DDW611WLED has a six-place-setting capacity, which is standard for most countertop models. And its compact design makes it easy to fit in between your countertop and cabinets.
If you’re looking for a cheap countertop dishwasher that still offers excellent cleaning quality, the DDW611WLED is it.
SPT SD-9241SS – If a six-place-setting capacity doesn’t meet your needs, the SD-9241SS from SPT may be the right option for you. This model isn’t designed for countertop use, but it has enough space to hold eight place settings.
Featuring a sleek stainless steel and black design, this dishwasher is a floor model that sits on castor wheels for easy transport. Its narrow, compact design makes it easy to fit even in tight spaces.
A total of six wash programs are included: heavy, all-in-1, light, normal, speed and rinse. The upper rack is adjustable, so you can fit larger plates if necessary, and the faucet adapter makes it easy to connect this model.
One great feature that the SD-9241SS offers is a time delay feature, which ranges between 1 and 24 hours.
If you need a bigger dishwasher and don’t mind spending more, the SD-9241SS is a great choice.
Midea Countertop Dishwasher – Our final pick comes from a brand that you may not have heard of: Midea. The brand’s portable dishwasher is well-rated and affordable in price.
Because this is a countertop model, its capacity is lower than the previous model on our list. Rather than an eight-place-setting capacity, this dishwasher has a six-place-setting capacity. Of course, this model also comes with the standard six washing cycles.
One of the great things about the Midea countertop dishwasher is that it has low water consumption. A typical normal cycle uses just 3.43 gallons of water.
Everything you need is included, including the faucet adapter and all of the hoses. A delayed start feature also allows you to delay your washing up to 24 hours.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Countertop Dishwasher for You
Not sure how to buy a dishwasher? Have no fear – our guide below will help you select the right model for your home.
There are a few very important things you need to think about when choosing a countertop dishwasher:
- Unit Size: Most countertop dishwashers are around the same size, but some models can be larger than others. And there are also floor models that have caster wheels. These, of course, can’t be placed on a countertop. Consider how much space you have in your kitchen, and choose a model that will fit in your space.
- Load Capacity: How many dishes do you typically wash at one time? If you have a small- or medium-sized family, a six-place-setting capacity will likely give you more than enough space. Larger families may require a dishwasher that can hold up to eight place settings.
- Budget: You’ll also want to keep your budget in mind. Remember, you’re investing in an appliance, so it’s often better to buy the best quality you can afford. We have heard horror stories of low quality models leaking or breaking down after just a few uses. As they say – you get what you pay for.
- Features: Finally, you want to think about the features the dishwasher offers. Is a delayed start important to you? Do you need a built-in light (yes, some models do have this feature)? Determine which features you want or need, and use this as a basis for finding the right countertop dishwasher. Keep in mind that special features often add to the overall cost of the model.