Our Guide to The Best Rated Toilets On the Market
When you buy a home, no one hands you a guidebook on how to buy a toilet. So when yours suddenly goes, you’re left running around in a panic, unsure of which model to buy or how to even shop for a new model.
TOTO CST744SG-01 Drake 2-Piece Toilet
Our favorite for 2017
Toto CST243EF-01 Entrada 1.28GPF Round CalGreen Two-Piece Toilet
A very close runner-up
KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa Comfort Height Elongated 1.28 GPF Toilet
Elegant easy-to-clean design
The good news is that buying a new toilet isn’t as complicated as it sounds. We’re going to share five of the top models on the market, so you can find the perfect one for your needs. Here’s how to compare these models:
- Toilet Efficiency: A high efficiency toilet will save you money in the long run because it uses less water per flush. In order to earn a high-efficiency rating, WaterSense requires toilets to have a GPF (gallon per flush) rating of 1.28 or less. Bottom line: if you’re looking for a toilet that will save you money on your water bill, opt for a high-efficiency model.
- Toilet Ratings: Toilets are something everyone uses, but most of us still feel uncomfortable talking about it to the people we know. If you’re not too keen on asking friends and family for recommendations on toilets, consider looking up user reviews. Ratings and reviews will give you an indication as to whether the toilet is worth buying.
- Design: While not as important as performance, you do want to ensure that you like the design of the toilet. Some have different bowl and tank shapes, which may or may not suite your personal taste. Some companies also offer a variety of colors to choose from, so you can select one that matches your bathroom perfectly.
The Top Rated Toilets for 2017
TOTO Drake 2 – The TOTO Drake 2 features a simple, contemporary design with a high profile, and it comes with a few extra features that you’ll appreciate. The SanaGloss, for one, not only creates a beautiful shiny glaze, but it also creates an ion barrier that cleans your toilet each time you flush.
The fast-flush design features a 3” flush valve that is 125% larger than conventional valves. The commercial-grade G-Max Flushing System is powerful and quiet.
The Drake 2 has two components: the tank and the bowl, and the flushing handle is situated on the left-hand side of the bowl.
Affordable in price, the Drake 2 is a great option for anyone who wants a contemporary toilet with smart features.
TOTO Ultramax II Het – The Ultramax II Het is high-efficiency toilet (WaterSense approved) with a 1.28 GPF rating. Unique in design, this toilet features a universal height of 17-1/4” from floor to seat for maximum comfort.
The elongated bowl and double-cyclone flushing technology allows for a powerful flush each and every time. Flushing is quiet, too, which is always a welcomed feature with any toilet.
The rim of the toilet features a hole-less design, which makes it easier to clean and creates a seamless appearance.
Like the previous TOTO model, the Ultramax II Het features SanaGloss, which is an ion barrier glazing that actually cleans your toilet each time you flush.
TOTO Entrada – The Entrada is our third pick from TOTO, and this model features the E-Max flushing system. This high efficiency toilet features a 1.28 GPF rating, and a universal height of 16-1/8” from floor to rim.
Like the Drake 2, this round-bowl model is built with the Fast Flush system. What this means is that the 3” flush valve is 125% larger than the typical 2” valve. The Entrada is also CalGreen compliant for eco-conscious buyers.
With a quiet, powerful flush, this toilet is comfortable to use and looks great in any bathroom. And its compact profile makes it a great option or smaller bathrooms.
KOHLER Santa Rosa – The Santa Rosa from KOHLER is modern, sleek and a joy to use. Imported, this toilet features a one-piece design that integrates the bowl and the tank. The seamless construction allows for easy cleaning.
If you struggle to stand and sit on a conventional toilet, you’ll love that the Santa Rosa is chair height, which makes sitting down and standing up easier.
The bowl of the toilet is elongated and compact for added comfort without taking up more space than a conventional toilet. Flushing is more effective, too, thanks to the AquaPiston system, which fills the bowl from all angles.
With a 1.28 GPF rating, this toilet is efficient and adds a touch of elegance to any bathroom.
American Standard Champion-4 – The Champion-4 sounds like a bold name for this American Standard toilet, but this model’s efficient-yet-luxurious design makes it a true contender for the “champion” of toilets.
One of the standout features of this model is its EverClean surface, which is permanent and antimicrobial to keep your toilet cleaner for longer. Applied to both the interior and exterior surfaces, this technology inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mildew and stains.
The EverClean surface is easy to clean, and will keep your toilet looking like new for years to come.
The accelerator flush valve pushes water into the bowl at a rate that’s three-times faster than standard 2” valves. The 2-3/8” trapway is also one of the largest in the industry, which allows the toilet to remove up to 40% larger mass than conventional trapways.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Home Toilet for You
Even after reading through our reviews, you’re still not sure which model to choose (it happens). If this is your first time buying a toilet – or you haven’t bought one in decades – you may not know what to look for. Here are some things to consider to help narrow down your choices.
- Toilet Dimensions: The size of the toilet is, arguably, the most important thing you need to consider. After all, you need to buy a model that will fit in your bathroom. And if you have a particularly small space, this may be more difficult than you thought. Always check the model’s dimensions – it should be listed in the product description. Height isn’t as much of a concern as width and depth. Go as far as measuring the space where your toilet will fit (or measuring the one you have in your home right now) to ensure you choose a model that fits.
- Special Surface Glazes: Many modern toilets come with special glazes that inhibit bacteria, mold and mildew growth. This glazing will make your life easier by keeping your toilet looking cleaner for longer.
- Flush Valve and Trapway Size: One thing many people overlook is the size of the flush valve, but this one feature will make a difference in how quickly and efficiently the toilet flushes. The wider the valve, the more powerful the flush. The size of the trapway is important, too. Larger trapways are able to eliminate more mass waste (i.e. won’t clog as easily) as other models with smaller trapways.
- Price: Finally, don’t forget to consider the cost of the toilet. Even high-efficiency models are highly affordable nowadays, so choose a model that offers you the right level of comfort and efficiency for your needs.