How to Find the Best Double Boiler Espresso Machine On the Market
There’s nothing like owning a high end espresso machine. When it comes to a powerful jolt of flavor in the morning, an espresso will do the trick. And some drinkers prefer to have single, double or even triple shots to give them an intense jolt of caffeine to get through their day.
Breville BES980XL Oracle Espresso Machine
Our favorite for 2017
Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
A very close runner-up
Breville BES920BSXL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
A great machine from Breville
But, just any old espresso machine won’t do the trick.
You’ll instantly be able to tell the difference between the taste of a low-end and high-end espresso maker. Making espresso is an art, and without a top-end machine, you’ll be left with subpar brewing practices and function.
A few of the features you’ll want to compare when making your choice between models are:
- Brew Options: Do you want to brew just espresso, or would you like to be able to brew other drinks, too? Some models can brew cappuccinos, lattes and other drinks, which offer a nice variety when an espresso isn’t desired.
- Customizable Options: The right customizations will allow you to brew an espresso that you like best. Some models don’t offer any customization aside from temperature, so keep this in mind.
- Grinder: Fresh ground beans are essential when it comes to making the right shot of espresso. A built-in grinder will be needed for this, or you’ll need to have your own grinder. Most espresso lovers prefer a built-in grinder.
- Temperature Control: Espresso making has a lot to do with temperature. If the temperature can’t be adjusted, you’ll have less control over the taste of your espresso. Temperatures shouldn’t exceed 205F.
Reviews of the Best Double Boiler Espresso Machine
Breville BES980XL Oracle Espresso Machine – If you’re looking for an espresso machine that does it all, the Oracle is very close. This model does it all from automatically grinding beans for the best flavor, adding in the right doses and even tampering the coffee for the best possible taste.
Dual stainless steel boilers are present as well as dual Italian pumps.
One-touch Americanos can be made, and there are 3 preset and 6 customizable settings to brew the perfect shot of espresso every time. Temperatures range from 190F – 205F, and there is auto frothing offered. You can also brew lattes and cappuccinos as well as espresso and coffee.
With adjustable grind sizes, you’ll have true control over every drink you brew.
Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine – The BES920XL is a lot like the last model we reviewed, and it comes with a dual boiler and Italian pump, too. This model allows for steaming and espresso extraction at the same time so that no time is lost during the brewing process.
A backlit LCD display allows for easy viewing of the brewing temperature.
Users are alerted when it’s time to descale, and there are water hardness strips included. Electronic temperature control is offered, while the built-in froth wand allows you to make delicious froth for your drinks.
This is a high-end unit that’s recommended if you already have a bean grinder.
Breville BES920BSXL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine – The BES920BSXL is a dual boiler that utilizes dual stainless steel boilers and Italian pumps. Electronic PID controls the temperature to the utmost precision, and the backlit LCD displays the temperature, clock, time or shot.
Assisted descale procedures are offered through the LCD display.
Start settings preheat the machine, and the water tank is 84 ounces. A hot water outlet allows for easy cup heating, and pressure, duration and temperature are all programmable. The outside of the unit is made out of metal.
Fantastic control and flavor makes this a great espresso machine for very small cafes and home usage. Shots can be brewed in as little as 30 seconds.
Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi-Automatic – The BES900XL offers much of the same great features as the last model we reviewed. Dual boilers and pumps are included, and temperature control is offered with precision control. Thermal stability is provided through the heat exchanger and heated group head.
Shot temperature assistance is provided, and there is an auto-start time as well as a pre-infusion duration.
The top-fill or rear-fill water tank offers a swivel foot that lowers a wheel to lift the unit upward for easy filling. Shot temperatures are programmable, and there is 15 bar pump pressure. A tamper is included, and there is a steam wand provided, too.
Profitec Pro 700 Dual Boiler Espresso Machine – There are high-end espresso machines, and then there is the Pro 700. This model may not be the aesthetic machine you’re looking for, but when it comes to taste, this model offers one of the best on the market.
A 0.75-liter boiler and a 2-liter boiler are present. The smaller boiler is for espresso and the other for steaming.
Made from stainless steel and wrapped with thermal insulation, heat is kept inside of the boilers at all times. Brew and steam temperatures are displayed on the unit, and users can adjust these settings, too.
Heavy and durable, this is one of the best made espresso machines on the market today.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Boiler Espresso Machine for You
There is a lot to consider when making a choice of which boiler espresso machine is right for you. The idea behind a dual boiler setup is that the unit can do two functions at once at different temperatures.
For example, you can brew espresso at 195F and make steam that is either hotter or cooler.
You’ll also find that these models are able to provide you with a robust temperature control, which is always important when brewing espresso. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to making espresso, but a few of the recommendations that will help you choose the right model for you are:
- Capacity: Water capacity only makes a difference when making a lot of shots at one time. If the capacity is too small, you’ll need to refill often, which isn’t always convenient.
- Cleaning Assistance: With a lot of parts and compartments, it’s nice to have a little assistance during the cleaning process. Units may alert you when it’s time to clean, or they may help you with the descaling process, which is also a nice addition.
- Price: When you go to sit down and start looking for a dual boiler espresso machine, make a budget, too. There is a lot to consider, and prices can reach several thousands of dollars for high-end models. A budget will help you narrow down your choices greatly.
Remember, even with the best espresso machine, you’ll want to freshly grind your beans, filter your water, and heat your cups to ensure the best flavor possible.