Let Us Help You Find the Best Option from All the Commercial Espresso Machine Brands
When you run a coffee shop or restaurant, a commercial espresso machine will help you meet the demands of your customers. Machines designed for home use can’t match the capacity, durability and speed of models designed for commercial settings.
Breville BES980XL Oracle Espresso Machine
Our favorite for 2017
Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine
A very close runner-up
Nuova Simonelli Aurelia Ii Digital 4 Group Espresso Machine Maureiivdg04Nd0001
Expensive, but ideal for larger establishments
But as you know, commercial machines come at a higher price. How can you make sure you’re getting your money’s worth? We’re going to share some of the best commercial espresso makers on the market. Here are some things to keep in mind when you compare these models.
- Automatic or Manual: A large percentage of commercial machines on the market today are automatic, but you’ll also find some manual machines in this category. Determine which type of machine you prefer. Automatic machines are typically the best choice for commercial environments, but in some establishments, you’ll want to use manual machines.
- Brewing Capacity: How many shots can the machine brew in an hour, a day? You will need a machine that can meet the demands of your establishment. If you run a coffee shop, your demands will be much higher than someone who runs, say, a diner.
- Durability: No one wants to buy an espresso machine that stops working after a few months or even a few years. But durability becomes even more important when used in a commercial environment. It can be difficult to determine how durable a machine is without taking the dive and buying it. However, user reviews can give you a good indication of how well-made the machine is.
The Top Commercial Espresso Machine Reviews
Breville BES980XL Oracle – The BES980XL Oracle from Breville is a complete espresso maker that can meet the demands of a commercial setting. From grinding to dosing and temping, this machine does it all, allowing for virtually hands-free, barista-quality espresso.
With dual Italian pumps and dual stainless steel boilers, this machine can handle high demands. The programmable milk texturing is another hands-free feature thanks to the automatic purge function.
The Oracle can also brew Americanos with the touch of a button, as the machine can deliver water directly into your mug after extraction.
With 3 preprogrammed and 6 customizable settings, you can brew to your customer’s liking. Shot temperatures can even be adjusted between 190F and 205F.
Breville BES870XL Barista Express – The Barista Express from Breville is a 15-bar Italian pump machine with a 1600W, coil heating system. Designed for more demanding environments, this espresso machine features a conical burr grinder, removable water tank, 1/2-pound bean hopper and a purge function.
The purge function automatically adjusts the water temperature after using the steam function to ensure the machine is ready to brew more espresso.
The water tank can hold up to 67-ounces of water, and the built-in steam wand allows for the creation of cappuccinos and lattes.
The Barista Express allows you to brew single or double shots with ease, and the 54mm tamper provides you with maximum tampering control.
For a more demanding commercial environment, the Breville Barista Express espresso maker is a great choice.
Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II Digit 4 – For a truly demanding commercial setting, the Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II is the right choice. Offering unmatched reliability and performance, this machine can meet the demands of the busiest coffee shops and restaurants, and is made by one of the top espresso machine brands in the world.
The Aurelia II is a machine for serious users who work in high-end establishments. This model offers the brand’s Soft Infusion System (SIS), which ensures creamy extractions every time.
With raised group options and automatic cleaning, this machine offers some nice, convenient extras that high-end baristas and establishments will appreciate.
Smart functions, including an array of programmable settings, and a color LCD display bring this espresso maker to the next level.
La Pavoni BAR-STAR – Boasting a vintage look, the La Pavoni BAR-STAR is a 2-group commercial espresso machine that’s NSF/CSA-certified and has a convenient digital control pad.
Featuring microprocessor controls and an energy-saving switch, this machine offers automatic espresso brewing and even allows you to control the dosing with the touch of a button.
With a 14-liter copper boiler, 2 steam wand and a warming tray, this machine can meet the demands of busy cafes and restaurants. An automatic shut-off function and a hot water button are built in. It even has its own 12-liter water softener.
Able to brew up to 600 drinks per day, this machine is a workhorse.
Breville BES920BSXL – The BES920BSXL is one of the most advanced espresso machines offered by Breville, and it comes with high-end features that make it feel right at home in a commercial setting.
Dual Italian pumps and stainless steel boilers allow for you to brew espresso and steam at the same time. A built-in OPV (over-pressure valve) also limits extraction pressure to optimize the brewing process.
A PID temperature control ensures that the water is exactly at the right temperature, and the LCD display allows you to view the time, shot clock or brewing temperature.
A hardness test strip is included with the machine, and a helpful descale alert lets you know when it’s time to descale the machine.
If you’re working a smaller coffee shop or establishment, the Breville BES920BSXL is a great option and will have no issues meeting your demands.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Industrial Espresso Machine for You
Even after reading our reviews, you may not know which machine to buy. There are numerous things to consider when buying a commercial espresso maker, and you want to be sure that you choose the right model the first time.
Pay attention to the following things when reading through the product description:
- Grinding and Tamping: Some machines do it all, while others require you to do some of the work. If you’re looking for a machine that’s virtually hands-off, you want one that has a built-in grinder and automatic tamping function. Not only does this eliminate some of the guesswork, but it also moves the process along quickly.
- Water Filter: Great-tasting coffee starts with fresh, clean and pure water. Many commercial machines have built-in water filters to remove chlorine and other particles that may alter the taste of the coffee.
- Dual Boilers and Pumps: A machine that has dual boilers and pumps allows you to brew shots and use the steaming feature at the same time. Without two boilers, you’ll be waiting in between brewing to steam your milk.
- Shot Count: The machine you purchase should be able to brew single or double shots, so you can better serve your customers.
- Price: The cost of the machine has to be a consideration when you’re buying a commercial model. You’re running a business, so therefore, you must be mindful of how much you’re spending. Set a realistic budget for your machine and opt for a model that has the quality and features you want.