Let Us Help You Find the Best Portable 14000 BTU AC Unit On the Market
A portable AC unit gives you the comfort and convenience of a window air conditioner, but without having to install an unsightly unit in your window. But if you have a larger space, you may have considered that a portable unit may not be able to cool your space effectively.
Our favorite for 2017
Whynter ARC-142BX 14000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
A very close runner-up
SPT WA-1420H Portable Air Conditioner with Heater
The air conditioner & heater combo!
The good news? New 14,000 BTU units have the power to cool up to 700 square feet.
If you’re in need of a powerful portable AC unit, you’ll find a number of 14,000 BTU units on the market. Here’s how to compare them:
- Hoses: Some units have one hose, while others have two. Single hose units are sufficient for smaller spaces, but tend to be less efficient (cooling-wise) than a unit with dual hoses. If you have a larger space, you will be better off with a unit that has two hoses. The only drawback with these units is that they use more electricity.
- Evaporation System: Many newer portable ACs have self-evaporative systems, which eliminate or minimize the need to manually drain the unit. Self-evaporating units automatically drain condensate through an exhaust system. These types of systems are preferred simply because they’re more convenient.
- Cooling Power: When comparing models, pay attention to the maximum space the unit can cool. A 14,000 BTU unit should be able to cool between 500 and 700 square feet of space, depending on the unit. Look for a model that’s suitable for your space. A unit that can cool more space than you have will be a waste of money, whereas a unit that isn’t powerful enough to effectively cool your space will leave you feeling uncomfortable all summer long.
To help you find the right portable AC unit for your home, we’re going to review the top 14,000 BTU models on the market today.
The Top 14000 BTU Portable AC Units
Whynter ARC-143MX – The ARC-143MX from Whynter is powerful, sleek and efficient. This dual hose portable AC offers 14,000 BTU cooling and CFC-free R410A refrigerant. And it can cool up to 500 square feet of space.
The auto-drain function allows the unit to exhaust all condensate automatically, so you never have to worry about manually drainage. Everything you need is included for installation, including a window kit and the hoses.
Three modes are available: fan, air conditioner and dehumidifier. A full-function remote control is also included.
Fitted with an antimicrobial filter to remove dust, pet hair and dander, the ARC-143MX is the ideal choice for people with allergies and asthma.
SPT WA-1420H – SPT packs a lot of power into a small portable air conditioner with its WA-1420H model. But what makes this model unique is that it can heat and cool. If you’re looking for a portable AC that can double as a space heater, this is the right model for you.
Offering 14,000 BTU cooling and 11,000 BTU heating, this unit is recommended for between 550 and 700 square feet of space.
Three fan speeds allow you to customize your heating or cooling settings, while the fire-resistant PVC housing helps minimize safety risks when the unit is in use.
The WA-1420H uses eco-friendly refrigerant, and also comes with a washable air filter that removes dust particles from the air. It can remove moisture, too, to make your home more comfortable.
If you want a versatile portable AC, this model is ideal.
Whynter ARC-142BX – Whynter’s ARC-142BX is a portable air conditioner with a self-evaporative system that exhausts condensate to minimize the need for manual draining.
Like other Whynter models, this unit has four operational modes: air conditioner, auto, fan and dehumidifier. It also uses eco-friendly refrigerant to minimize your environmental impact.
The unit includes both an activated carbon filter and a pre-filter to remove harmful particles in the air. Asthma and allergy sufferers will appreciate this unit because it helps keep indoor air clean.
With four caster wheels and a full-function remote control, this portable AC system can be moved from room to room and the temperature can be adjusted from just about anywhere in the room.
Honeywell HL14CESWB – If you have a smaller space, the Honeywell HL14CESWB may be the right choice for you. Offering 14,000 BTUs of cooling, this unit can effectively cool up to 550 square feet of space.
Using 3-in-1 technology, this unit can cool the room, dehumidify and circulate fresh air into the rom using its 3-speed fan. The self-evaporative system also eliminates the need for manual draining.
One unique feature that this unit offers is a sleep mode. This mode allows you to control the temperature for evening hours, so you can enjoy a comfortable night of sleep.
A digital display lets you see the precise temperature, while a remote control allows you to make adjustments from anywhere in the room.
Haier HPN14XHM – The HPN14XHM from Haier is another great option if you want a unit that can do double duty: cool and heat. This unit offers 14,000 BTU cooling power and 11,000 BTU heating power.
Quiet and efficient, this model can heat or cool up to 500 square feet of space, and it can remove up to 100 pints of moisture from the room every 24 hours.
Three heating/cooling speeds are offered as well as three fan speeds to meet your comfort needs. A remote control and 24-hour on/off timer offer convenience and make operating the unit a breeze.
A washable filter is included to help clean the air, and everything you need is included for easy installation.
If you’re looking for a sleek portable unit that can cool and heat your space, the Haier HPN14XHM is a great option.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Portable AC Unit for You
Even after reading through our reviews, you may still be unsure of which unit to buy. There’s a lot to consider when buying a portable AC, and you want to make sure that you get the best value for the money. Here are some things to keep in mind when narrowing down your choices:
- Size: Consider not only the size of the unit, but the minimum and maximum window sizes as well. It’s important to make sure you have enough space for the unit itself, and that the window kit will fit in your window. You can find the unit’s dimensions and min/max window sizes in the product’s description.
- Modes: Most of the 14,000 BTU units have multiple modes for cooling and for fans. These modes give you more control over the cooling power, so you can choose the option that best meets your comfort needs. Most units also have a dehumidification mode that removes moisture from the air to make the space more comfortable. Units that offer this mode are ideal for humid climates.
- Cooling and Heating: Some units, like the Haier HPN14XHM and SPT WA-1420H offer both heating and cooling. If you use a space heater in the winter, you may consider buying a model that can act as both an AC and heater. This way, you don’t have to switch systems when the seasons change.
- Convenient Features: Models that have full-function remotes and caster wheels are preferred because they offer convenience and ease of use. Remotes allow you to control the temperature from anywhere in the room, while caster wheels allow you to move the unit to other rooms with relative ease.