Our Guide to the Best Coffee Pots After 2015
You use your coffee maker faithfully each morning, but after a while, the pot either breaks or starts leaking – everywhere. No, we’re not talking about the machine itself, but the carafe, or decanter if you want to get technical.
The good news is that most coffee maker brands sell replacement pots, so you don’t have to run out and buy a whole new machine each time your carafe breaks.
Cuisinart 12-Cup Carafe
Our favorite for 2017
BUNN 12-Cup Glass Coffee Decanter
A very close runner-up
Mr. Coffee DRD95 8-Cup Stainless Steel Double-Walled Thermal Carafe
Features stainless steel, double-Walled thermal
But how do you find the right replacement pot? We’re going to review five of the best models on the market, but let’s first talk about how to compare them to find the best decanter for you.
- Brand and Model Number: To find the right pot, you’ll need to know the brand and model number of your coffee maker. Most companies only make one – at most two – replacement pots, so your options may be limited. Some pots are compatible with multiple models, so pay close attention to the product description. Some online stores will check compatibility for you, so you don’t have to worry about buying a useless decanter that you can’t use.
- Capacity: Next, you’ll want to consider the carafe’s capacity. While most match the coffee maker’s capacity (i.e. a 12-cup machine and 12-cup carafe), not all will (see our last review for an example of this).
These are the two main factors you want to look at when comparing models. Chances are, you’ll only have a handful of options (if that) to choose from, so keep this in mind.
The Best Rated Coffee Pot Reviews for 2017
Cuisinart DCC-1200PRC – The Cuisinart DCC-1200PRC is a replacement glass carafe that can hold up to 12 cups. Manufactured in the U.S., this pot is compatible with the following Cuisinart coffee maker models: KF576, KF140, 3112, 3111, 3092, 3093, 3067 and 3066.
With an ergonomic handle and solid construction, this replacement decanter is more durable than the stock carafe that comes with most Cuisinart machines.
A 14-cup decanter is also available if you have a machine from the DCC-2200 or DCC-2600 series.
The carafe and its lid are both dishwasher safe for easy cleanup, and the no-drip design of the lid prevents messes in the kitchen.
If you’re looking for an affordable carafe replacement for your Cuisinart coffeemaker, the DCC-1200PRC is a great choice.
BUNN 12-Cup Glass Coffee Decanter – BUNN is one of the most popular brands used in commercial settings, and their replacement glass decanter is durable enough to withstand heavy use.
Perfectly balanced, this pot is shatter-resistant and made of laboratory-grade glass. The connection process uses food-grade polymeric materials, which completely eliminates the need for any vinyl gaskets.
The drip-proof lid prevents spills, and the decanter’s design can withstand constant temperature fluctuations. In other words, this carafe is tough enough to withstand the rigors of a commercial setting.
Considering the quality and durability of this 12-cup carafe, the BUNN coffee decanter offers tremendous value for the money.
Mr. Coffee ISD13 12-Cup Replacement Decanter – Mr. Coffee is easily one of the most recognizable brands in the drip coffee maker industry, and while they have a reputation for being budget-friendly, their quality is impressive. But just like with any other brand, their carafes need to be replaced every so often because they either break or start leaking.
The ISD13 12-cup decanter is a replacement model for coffee makers in their IS and FT series. A solid budget item, this carafe is durable, affordable and comes with a drip-free spout to prevent messes.
An ergonomic handle makes the pot easy to hold, and it’s perfectly balanced to make pouring a breeze.
Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Carafe – Another great model from Mr. Coffee, this 12-cup carafe fits the following Mr. Coffee models: TFX23, TF13, SKXX23, SK13, PLX23, PL13, NCX23, NC13, JWX27, DWX23, DW13, DRX23, DR13, CGX23, and CG13.
With a simple design and solid glass construction, this carafe does an excellent job of keeping coffee warm. The ergonomically-designed makes it easy to handle this pot, and the lid is dishwasher safe.
The spout isn’t as advanced as other models on our list, but the lip under the spout helps prevent spills and drips. The design also prevents lid leaks, which can be a problem with some plastic lids.
Mr. Coffee DRD95 – The DRD95 from Mr. Coffee is a bit little more high-end than other carafes from the brand’s lineup, but its stainless steel design makes it worth the extra cost.
The only drawback with this carafe is that it’s only compatible with one Mr. Coffee model: BVMC-SJX33GT.
Able to hold up to eight cups, this carafe features a double-walled, stainless steel design to keep coffee warm for hours without having to keep the decanter on a hot plate.
If you brew more than one pot of coffee at a time, this is a great accessory to have. The original carafe that comes with this coffee maker is made of glass and can hold up to 12 cups, so this model makes for a great replacement or complement to the stock decanter.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Coffee Pot for You
Still not sure which pot to buy? After you’ve found models that are compatible with the make and model of your coffee maker, you may have trouble picking just one – especially if they all look the same.
Here are some things to consider when buying a replacement decanter:
- Material: Most – not all – decanters are made of glass, but you can find a few made of stainless steel. Stainless steel will do a better job at keeping your coffee warmer for longer without having to sit it on a hot plate, which can scorch your coffee (yuck). If you’re looking at a glass decanter, consider the quality of the glass. The BUNN model, for example, is made of laboratory-quality, shatter-resistant glass, which means it can withstand heavy use (or clumsy users).
- Lid and Handle Design: Take a look at the design of the lid and handle. Is it comfortable to hold? Will the lid prevent leaks and messy drips? Ideally, you want a pot with an ergonomic handle, balanced design and drip-proof spout.
- Easy Cleaning: Find out if the pot is dishwasher safe. Most are, but some aren’t. If you’re looking for quick and easy cleanup, choose a pot that can be tossed in the dishwasher after use.
- Price: Finally, don’t forget to factor in the cost of the pot. Most decanters are very affordable, but some cost a little bit more. Typically, the higher-priced models are either made of stainless steel or high quality glass. Again, you may be limited in your selection here, which means you may also be limited to the price ranges you can choose from.