Let Our Guide Help You with Your Air Conditioning Options
When the summer heats up, your air conditioner becomes your new best friend. If you don’t have a central HVAC system in your home or apartment, you have two options to cool your home: a window unit, or a portable air conditioner.
Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 5
Our favorite for Window Unit 2017
Honeywell MN10CESWW 10
Our favorite portable ac for 2017
Affordable but high-quality air conditioner
The right one for you will depend on your personal preference and your home. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Size: The size of the room is important when considering whether to get a window or portable unit. If you’re short on space, a window unit may be the better option as it takes up zero floor space. If size isn’t an issue, you may prefer a portable unit simply because it takes up less window space.
- Power: Another important consideration is the unit’s power. The higher the BTU rating, the larger the space the unit can cool. Again, it all goes back to the size of your space. If you have a larger room, you may prefer a portable model simply because they tend to have higher BTU ratings. On the other hand, if you have a smaller room, you may not want to spend more on a powerful portable unit that cools more space than you have.
- Durability: The last thing you want is to invest in an air conditioner and have it stop working in the middle of summer. Take the time to read each product description to learn more about the design and construction of the unit. Also, take a look at comments left by users. These comments will give you a good idea if the unit’s quality.
To help you find the right air conditioner for your home, we’re going to take a look at some of the top-selling models on the market today.
Five of our favorite Units
Honeywell MN10CESWW – The MN10CESWW is a top-selling model from Honeywell. This is a portable unit – not a window unit. But its 10,000 BTU rating allows it to cool rooms up to 350 square feet.
The auto-evaporation system eliminates the need for a water tank, while the dehumidification function works for up to 70 pints per day.
A full-function remote control is included, which allows you to make temperature adjustments from anywhere in the room. A digital LCD display also allows you to view the precise temperature setting.
With four caster wheels and a lighter weight of 61 pounds, this unit is a great choice for anyone who needs a more powerful AC that they can move from room to room.
Honeywell MN12CES – The MN12CES is another top pick from Honeywell, and this model is even more powerful than the MN10CESWW.
This 12,000 BTU unit can cool up to 450 square feet of space and features an auto-evaporation system that eliminates the need for water tanks. With dehumidification of up to 70 pints per day, this unit will keep your home comfortable and cool all summer long.
A digital LED display lets you know the precise temperature, while the remote control allows you to raise or lower the temperature from across the room.
The MN12CES features three speeds and an automatic on/off timer, which can be set for 1-24 hours.
The MN12CES is an excellent choice for an apartment air conditioner simply because it can cool a larger space and doesn’t require a window installation.
Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 – The FFRA0511R1 is a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner from Frigidaire and is ideal for smaller spaces. While not as powerful as other units on this list, this model can cool up to 150 square feet of space.
This window-mounted unit comes with a mounting kit for added convenience and ease of installation. It also provides dehumidification of up to 1.1 pints per hour.
Using mechanical rotary controls, you can adjust the air conditioner’s fan speed (2 speeds total) and the fan speed (also two speeds in total). Like many other window units, this model has two-way air direction.
Quiet operation and low power start up also make this unit a great choice for anyone looking to minimize their energy usage.
Frigidaire 10,000 BTU Window Unit – Frigidaire’s 10,000 BTU window unit is a bit more advanced than the FFRA0511R1 and it’s more powerful, too. While compact in size, this air conditioner can cool up to 450 square feet of space.
A remote control is included with this window unit, which features a temperature sensor. Frigidaire’s unique remote allows you to view, set and maintain a comfortable temperature no matter where you are in the room. There’s also a digital temperature readout on the unit itself for added convenience.
Low power start-up and efficient operation reduces energy usage. The multi-speed fan allows for even more flexibility when cooling your room, and the unit also allows for 8-way control of the air’s direction.
If you’re looking for a more advanced window air conditioner, this Frigidaire unit may be the right choice for you.
Haier ESA410N – The Haier ESA410N is a 10,000 BTU window air conditioner that offers four cooling modes and easy installation. Powerful enough to cool up to 450 square feet of space, this AC unit offers three fan speeds and three cooling speeds for maximum control over cooling.
There are also four cooling modes: Cool, Energy Saver, Fan and Dehumidify.
A remote control is included with the unit, which can be magnetically stored directly on the unit.
An on/off/sleep timer can be set to give you better control over when and for how long the unit runs. A digital display of the temperature allows you to set the precise desired temperature, while simple arrow controls on the unit’s interface allow you to easily make adjustments.
If you’re looking for an AC unit that gives you complete control over cooling, the Haier ESA410N is a great choice.
Buyer’s Guide – Window AC Vs Portable AC: Which Is Right for You?
There are many things to consider when choosing a portable or window AC unit. Ultimately, you want an air conditioner that can cool your space without using too much energy and without taking up too much space. To determine which type of AC is right for you, consider the following:
- Portability: Do you want a unit that you can move to different rooms? If so, a portable unit is the better option. These models have wheels that make them easy to move from room to room. But do keep in mind that you’ll still need to install a window kit for proper exhausting. A window unit, while not permanent, is not as easily movable.
- Temperature Control: While many new window units now allow for more precise temperature controls, many still do not. The added benefit with manual rotary controls is that these units usually come at a lower price. Portable units almost always have digital controls that allow you to set the exact temperature you desire.
- Dehumidification: If dehumidification is important to you, make sure you choose a unit that offers this. Some window units do not, but most portable units do. Advanced window units will offer this feature, and it is often more powerful than the portable models.
- Cost: One of the last things you should consider is the cost of the unit. Yes, your budget is important, but it’s also important to ensure that you choose a quality unit that will give you years of use. Choose the best quality model in you desired price range.